Senior Data Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team, and that’s where you come in.
We're seeking someone to build and support critical backend systems and services that are core to our business. This includes the rewards system that will be used to increase driver safety, designing APIs, creating/managing databases, and writing automated test suites.
General tools you build will be open sourced and will ideally be consumed by the greater community.
- Enjoys and is deeply comfortable with a Python-centric code base and Python best practices.
- Have an extraordinary grasp of high-level architecture.
- Experience in building RESTful services at scale.
- Data science fundamentals are not required, but are a plus.
- Exposure to the scientific Python stack would be helpful (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, tensorflow, etc). If you don't have it, you will learn it here.
- Experience with Cassandra and Kafka
- Some experience or interest in Go (Golang)
- Exposure with using cloud-based production systems at scale
- Salary: We pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of PTO, six weeks of parental leave (12 weeks for parents who give birth), and great work-life balance.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during the core business hours of 9:00AM - 5:00PM, PST, since a majority of time will be spent collaborating with team members in this time zone.
- Some travel required once the San Francisco office re-opens. Frequency 1/quarter.
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office, post-COVID, for in-person collaboration purposes and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf