Senior Writer & Content Strategist - Long Form
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well—creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
The content team plays a critical role in providing our customers with informative, educational, and ultimately, helpful content. We are a cross-functional, collaborative and empathetic team dedicated to creating best-in-class content that provides value both to the customer and the business.
We’re looking for an experienced and well-rounded content strategist and long-form writer who takes pride in thoughtfully organizing, developing and maintaining an ever-evolving content calendar across our owned inbound channels. Working across our content, brand, communications, creative and growth teams, you will be an essential link between our story, products, brand voice and our customers. You’ll develop and manage an editorial calendar and write/create everything from blog posts to thought leadership articles to video scripts to whatever innovative content you can imagine.
You’re a motivated and experienced strategist and writer that’s worked with customer-centric startups and top-ranked customer experience brands, and you have the hybrid skill sets to show for it. You love inbound marketing and identifying opportunities to connect with customers through high-quality content that meets their unique needs at any given time. You are a natural born storyteller that both loves the craft and the response from your audience. Even more, you love writing and can’t imagine a job doing anything else. You have a passion for long-form writing and can whip together a 700-word blog post with SEO optimized language in no time.
- You are a storyteller. In life and in work you are a natural storyteller. When you watch a movie you often think, “the story would have been much better if they had ___.” In work you have a knack for transforming complicated or seemingly mundane topics into something truly unique and engaging.
- You’re a hybrid with a passion for spoken language and the written word. And you understand the importance of purposeful content, the unique nuance of language to shape personality, emotion, tone and style.
- You create strategically. While you love to write, you’re dedicated to a strategy that drives your day to day. You think carefully about how the calendars and writing you do to support your strategy measure back to corporate and team objectives.
- You’re customer obsessed. You maintain a deep and empathetic understanding of the customer, while advocating for customer-centric thinking and experiences. As a champion of our customers, you’re relentless in the pursuit to strategize, create and publish great content that connects and delivers exactly what the customer wants and needs.
- You're a fantastic communicator. Both within your team, and without, you have to be able to give voice to your vision, and present your ideas effectively and objectively. Teams must be able to understand it and use it for their work. In addition, your delivery has to be as inspiring as your idea.
- You're a team player who values culture. You’re a great listener, open to feedback and able to take the brand vision and bring it to life. You’re low ego and don’t fall in love with your own ideas, and instead have a strong desire to push them. You involve your cross-functional team members throughout the process to assure your work delivers results and impacts the success of our content program, while celebrating wins and taking on challenges in a way that sparks a positive flow of energy.
- You keep it together. You’re a master housekeeper—organized, methodical and timely. That’s how you stay on top of everything. Specifically, you need to be able to map complex sets of content and translate them across channels, while helping the team implement and use the content effectively. You should be able to help set and meet expectations for deliverables, estimations, and project plans to deliver extraordinary results.
- You’re an entrepreneur. You’re a confident self-starter that has a passion for team building, process, and most importantly culture. In other words, you don’t just experience the culture, you help make it. You recognize that great company cultures come from the teams you’re a part of and nurture as a positive force—which is how healthy and successful companies grow.
- Working within our integrated Growth team, you will help identify opportunities to improve on-brand communication and publishing on owned inbound channels
- Based on content and acquisition strategy, work with leadership to develop a robust content calendar
- Gather information from Insurance, Product, Brand, Analytics and collaborate with the Growth Marketing, Communications and Creative teams to discover and create content opportunities
- Work with the SEO team to discover SEO content opportunities
- Work closely with the creative team to develop ideas including illustration, animation, video, photography to drive innovative and interesting content
- Create and use targeted reporting to identify areas of opportunity for content improvement
- Write regular blog feature articles, managing the process from concept to first draft to gathering feedback, SEO optimization, editing and approvals
- Work with writing collaborators in-house and externally to fulfill content calendar
- Post approved content to website CMS
- Track published content performance against goals, optimize where needed and regularly report results to the Growth team
- Test and iterate different types of content (written, voice, video, etc) across channels
- Maintain consistency and alignment of spoken and written communication with HiRoad brand and vocabulary
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 5+ years writing/creating content for internal or external audiences
- Demonstrated writing skill, with emphasis on long form content (e.g., blog, whitepapers, speeches, thought leadership, corporate communications)
- Bachelor's degree and/or relevant experience
- Experience developing and implementing a content calendar
- Ability to self-direct, multi-task, manage and prioritize work assignments
- Demonstrate and share examples of understanding and synthesizing technical, insurance and brand language into information and guides for frontline teams
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced start-up environment with multi-discipline teams
- Proven aptitude for customer-centric thinking and acute attention to detail, especially with regard to the written word
- Proficiency with Google Drive & Google applications
- Experience working across the customer lifecycle to bring brands to life in context, design, insights, and words
- Experience with content creation and management for lifestyle or consumer centric brands
- Experience working remotely with teams in other locations and time zones
- Experience working in growing startup environments
- Experience working with with teams in the insurtech and fintech industries
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience and talent. We are unable to offer equity
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of PTO, six weeks of parental leave (12 weeks for parents who give birth), and great work-life balance
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during the core business hours of 9:00AM - 5:00PM, PST, since a majority of time will be spent collaborating with team members in this time zone. Preferred SF Bay Area resident
- Some travel required once the San Francisco office re-opens. Frequency TBD
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office, post-COVID, for in-person collaboration purposes and other gatherings. Frequency TBD
What We Need:
- Please submit a resume, writing/artifact samples, a brief but compelling cover letter
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf