Senior Android Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a billion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
- Architecture is key. You are a strong believer in architecture and making sure that the code we write can easily be tested. You not only look for the solution but the best one that fits any scenario and you’re willing to take on any challenge.
- Team Player. You enjoy discussing solutions or bouncing ideas off of team members. Growing your knowledge and sharing it are something you enjoy in your work environment. You also enjoy experimenting and are enthusiastic about new tech.
- You’ve worked on an app that’s lived on Google Play for a period of time. Whether you released an app on your own or with a team, you understand what it’s like to have users and the responsibility that comes with that. You are comfortable in a source code environment backed by a distributed version control system - we use git.
- You have a complete high level understanding of major Android components. Services, Activities, Fragments are all common knowledge to you. You may not know all the lifecycle methods of an Activity, but you can easily explain the most important ones.
- You know how to test. You know your code may not be perfect but you have experience writing unit tests to help build confidence that what you write is stable. You also can describe what kind of automated tests can be used and how to apply them to complex components.
- Threading and concurrency in Java/Kotlin and Android are clear to you. You can clearly explain asynchronous options and understand how they run under the hood, able to choose the best option given the task. Race conditions fear your understanding.
- Experience with Kotlin or a willingness to learn.
- Experience with the Model View Presenter (MVP) pattern.
- Have personally published and supported an app in the Google Play Store.
- Experience creating custom views (e.g. you implemented on Draw, extended a View object, etc.).
- Thorough understanding of the concepts involved with computer networking and system architecture.
- Anything you think can help you craft software that is easy to read, extend, performs well and meets requirements.
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of vacation + six weeks of parental leave, and great work-life balance. Our office building offers on-site shower and bike stalls, and panoramic views of San Francisco.
- Location: Due to COVID-19 our teams are all working remotely through 2020. We provide an in-home office set-up including laptop, monitor, ergonomic desk, chair and other items as needed
- Location: Post COVID-19: San Francisco, CA near Montgomery Bart Station
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf