Site Reliability Engineer - Operations
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
We’re seeking a Site Reliability Engineer who would serve as the bridge between our Operations organization and our Platform team. Our application environment is a blend between Kubernetes, which runs the bulk of our production microservices, and a public cloud-driven services layer running on popular open source components. Our Operations team also interfaces with network components as well as some cloud-based productivity tools. The individual will embed in the Operations team and will also serve in the SRE Community of Practice, helping to bridge the needs and technologies of both teams while enabling the Operations team to streamline and automate the parts of their work that interact with the Platform.
BlueOwl SREs take pride not just in automation, but in providing reliable services to the organization through enabling self-service and removing ourselves as gatekeepers and smoothing automated paths to regulatory compliance.
SRE's primary platform is Kubernetes, and our primary tooling outside that is in Terraform. Most of our platform tooling is written in Golang, with some Python.
- You love to automate away manual interactions and have a passion for helping enable developers to write code that works
- You have opinions about software, how it’s built, managed, deployed and tested and can balance those principles with observational experience or practical implementation
- You have operational experience with configuration management, cloud provisioning, and other similar tools
- You take security and customer privacy seriously, and actively design and build for them from the earliest stages of a project. We love being a nimble startup, but we are in regulated industry and do not cut corners when it comes to data and infrastructure integrity
Requirements & Qualifications:
- You are comfortable and fluent in Terraform OR
- You’ve worked with a cloud platform infrastructure like Kubernetes
- You think in terms of enabling capabilities through a blend of process and technology
- You don’t consider the deployment complete until you can do it in one command
- Experience bridging corporate and on-site networks with cloud environments
- Experience with managing, securing, and diagnosing AWS infrastructure
- Experience managing device authentication/network access control
- Experience building Zero-Trust Infrastructures
- Experience operating and automating firewalls
- Experience automating interaction with third-party cloud services such as GSuite
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Salary: ($140K-$190K) We pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of PTO, six weeks of parental leave (12 weeks for parents who give birth), and great work-life balance.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during the core business hours of 9:00AM - 5:00PM, PST, since a majority of time will be spent collaborating with team members in this time zone. Preferred SF Bay Area resident.
- Some travel required once the San Francisco office re-opens. Frequency TBD
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office, post-COVID, for in-person collaboration purposes and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf