Public Relations Manager
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well—creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
If you are reading this job posting you’re likely expecting this first paragraph to say something about how we see PR as an integral part of our strategic storytelling machine, that this role oversees proactive and reactive storytelling in the press and builds and maintains media relationships to garner positive press. All of that is true; we want that. However, that’s just the beginning.
If this job is really for you, this is the part that gets you excited about this role: we see PR as an ever-changing landscape. We see value in a broad range of media coverage—sure we love the New York Times, but we think coverage on a blog or an interview on a podcast that our audience respects can be just as important. And, in many cases more impactful. After all, it’s all about goals, knowing your customer and your brand, and finding the opportunities that will resonate with them.
You’re excited to jump into a growing company and to develop and implement a PR/media relations strategy that thinks differently. You make our brand your world and our customers your obsession. You’re willing to dive into the insurtech category and understand how our business works. You are ruthless about driving towards goals, but always willing to shift gears and adapt to meet them. When you build a media list, you think outside the norm, always looking at the audience first and choosing to pitch the media that will best resonate. You thrive on building relationships with media and influencers, so that when you have a story to tell, you know exactly who to reach out to in a moment's notice. You are a master storyteller that can find a newsworthy angle in your sleep. You manage your projects efficiently, never miss a deadline, collaborate effortlessly, and always, always, always, communicate clearly. Of course, you’re an incredible writer.
- Develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive media relations strategy.
- Manage all reactive and proactive media relations.
- Work with internal stakeholders to identify and build unique stories based on product development and a thought leadership narrative, corporate news, trends and more.
- Work with internal data science to use both internal and external data in media relations.
- Manage our online press room.
- Work with our Social Media Manager on influencer marketing strategy and implementation.
- Write communications and messaging including fact sheets, press releases, talking points, and more as required.
- Partner and establish strong rapport with Writers, Brand Managers, Product, Marketing and business leads to bring our brand voice to life.
- Build and maintain media lists.
- Maintain relationships with key influencers and media.
- Manage spokesperson prep and media training.
- Work with our Internal Communications Manager to lead executive thought leadership, including speaking opportunities, bylined articles and more.
- Monitor and measure media relations results.
- Manage external PR agencies and other related vendors as needed.
- Other special projects as requested by management.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 5-6 years of Public Relations/media relations experience, ideally a mix of in-house and agency settings.
- Deep experience with PR, a keen understanding of how the media landscape has evolved and how brands benefit from working with a broad range of media, influencers, blogs and more.
- Stellar media relations skills.
- Demonstrated results in problem solving, strategic, creative thinker comfortable with generating ideas and plans, and getting those plans across the finish line.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading; must be able to communicate concepts effectively.
- Substantial project management and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and change direction quickly according to fast-evolving business needs.
- Passionate, positive, self-starter who enjoys working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Strong knowledge of Google Suite, Slack, media monitoring and journalist databases.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Business, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or equivalent experience.
- PR work with consumer brands, or regulated industries. Extra points for both.
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Salary: We pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of PTO, six weeks of parental leave (12 weeks for parents who give birth), and great work-life balance.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during the core business hours of 9:00AM - 5:00PM, PST, since a majority of time will be spent collaborating with team members in this time zone. Preferred SF Bay Area resident.
- Some travel required once the San Francisco office re-opens. Frequency TBD.
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office, post-COVID, for in-person collaboration purposes and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
What we need
- Please submit a resume and a brief but compelling cover letter
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.