Creative Director - Brand
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
We’re looking for an accomplished and well-rounded Creative Director with the vision and leadership experience to guide our growing team of Brand and Marketing Creative disciplines. Working within the integrated Growth team, you will play a central role in growing our design culture, managing our brand and telling our story across channels and media. We need you to make our brand your world, our customers your obsession and our team your tribe. As the Creative Director for the HiRoad Brand, you will put your refined conceptual, strategic, and creative leadership skills to work orchestrating and producing compelling digital marketing, category defining branding, integrated advertising campaigns and online and offline experiences. You will be the custodian of the vision and voice for our young HiRoad brand.
The CD for the Brand will help drive the strategies and ideas that address customer needs and business goals across marketing channels, facilitate brainstorming, mentor your team, collaborate with Business, Product, Marketing and Content teams to make our brand mission and vision a reality. And you’ll do this while leading our multi-discipline Brand and Marketing Creative team—working side-by-side with our Product Design Director, Art Director, Copywriters, Designers and Marketing Specialists to help plan, roadmap, estimate and manage projects with our team of Project Managers and Brand Managers.
- You’ve travelled many roads within the creative discipline—agencies, client-side, start-ups—delivered results, shaped category defining brands and won some awards along the way shaping multichannel marketing and integrated campaigns. But you’re not one to rest on your laurels or be driven by ego. Instead, your passion for your craft, curious mind and desire to see your team succeed fuels a broad interest in directing marketing across every touchpoint and type of media.
- You’re no longer satisfied just being another vendor or hired gun that hops from brand to brand, never truly owning anything or able to see your vision carried through. Instead, you have an entrepreneurial spirit having reached the point in your career where you want the opportunity to help shape something and grow a business from the inside out. And you can leverage all your passion and acumen to lead and deliver creative results with your outstanding team—be it writing compelling campaign headlines or directing UI design for responsive web experiences. When it comes to the brand, you love to touch it all—to own the vision and voice.
- You’re a hybrid with a passion for amazing brands. Leveraging your experience creating category defining brands, you’re a master of your craft with deep expertise in art and copy, as well as digital marketing and experiences. And you know how to navigate the process required to bring it together across marketing touchpoints. Whether writing headlines for brand campaigns or creating conversion-oriented digital experiences, you know firsthand how to bridge the gap between creating a strategy and designing the integrated marketing that brings it to life. Which you’ve done repeatedly. And you know that it takes a village to do it successfully.
- You're a fantastic communicator. Both within your team, and without, you have to be able to give voice to your vision, and present your ideas effectively and objectively. Teams must be able to get it and create it. In addition, your delivery has to be as inspiring as your idea.
- You're a low ego collaborator and competent leader. You understand that without your team to give it life, your idea is worthless. You understand that inspiration flows back and forth between you, your creative team and brand leadership, but also the broader multidisciplinary teams–that’s why you listen to them and they in turn listen to you. You are as much a collaborator as a leader. You also recognize the need to make the decision to take a particular path—as you own the creative outcome.
- You lead with energy and passion for your craft. Creativity, design, technology and the digital space are your lifeblood and you inspire your creative team and compel them to go above and beyond. You want to work where you can shape the creative and design culture—and where the full breadth of your intelligence and leadership skills are needed.
- You’re a visionary and create strategically. With a strong acumen to develop and express the essence of our brand through multiple channels, you have the ability to deliver great work that also delivers on customer and business needs. Delivering amazing work that inspires emotional connections and generates results is your target.
- You keep it together. You’re a master housekeeper—organized, methodical and timely. That’s how you stay on top of everything. Specifically, you need to be able to map the creative vision into a plan that the team can implement. You should be able to help set and meet expectations for deliverables, estimations, and project plans. You plan your team skill sets and structure to support and push the design to deliver extraordinary results.
- You’re an entrepreneur. And with an entrepreneurial sprint, you’re a confident self-starter that has a passion for building teams, process and most importantly culture. In other words, you don’t just experience the culture, you help make it. You recognize that great company cultures come from the team you help build, shape, and nurture—which is how healthy and successful companies grow.
- Lead creation of all campaign creative from concept to execution to tell our brand story, build brand awareness and sell the products that support our brand promise across a diverse set of audiences.
- Lead, develop and inspire a team of visual designers, writers, project managers and production artists, in addition to collaborating with product design, marketing and communications functions—providing leadership and rolling up your sleeves to get things done.
- Partner with the multidisciplinary marketing creative team to brainstorm engagement strategies and innovative approaches to help grow and articulate our brand across channels and touchpoints.
- Ensure our creative inspires, educates and activates target audiences with thoughtful and differentiating messaging, engaging stories and desirable award-winning design.
- Direct multiple integrated marketing campaigns and projects simultaneously for HiRoad insurance products through all digital channels to build brand awareness, convert, and acquire new customers.
- Collaborate with product design leadership and the cross-functional Growth team to align on design direction, marketing and growth strategy.
- Help establish and guide the expression of our brand within design and copy, while solidifying and evolving our brand language with design leadership and Brand Managers.
- Partner and establish strong rapport with your Art Director, Copywriters, Designers and Marketing Specialists to bring your vision to life.
- Direct content creation to optimize brand voice and execution across channels and our earned, owned, and paid media media, including within specific campaigns.
- Work collaboratively to help brief creative team, review and refine creative work in line with strategic objectives.
- Contribute to execution across marketing channels and the customer lifecycle (Brand, Acquisition, Conversion, Conversion and Retention) to ensure an integrated and holistic approach.
- Orchestrate and direct best-in-class interactive experiences, stories and campaign level execution in line with strategic objectives.
- Oversee and provide thought leadership in the assessment of marketing on website, digital experience and properties, integrated campaigns for usefulness, usability, visual design, content, and branding.
- Develop big ideas that forge strong emotional connections and relationships between brand and customers, and inspire leadership and your team to elevate the brand.
- Work with Research and Analytics teams to test and optimize creative to improve performance and relevance.
- Lead brainstorming, concept development and sketching sessions to generate ideas and direction for ideas.
- Help create and use a system of design templates, components and elements across marketing on websites, digital experiences and properties, and media.
- Collaborate with SEO and Analytics teams to build targeted and high performing creative that drives traffic and conversions.
- Understand competitive landscape and seek out and suggest new solutions, concepts, marketing approaches and best-practices.
- Partner with the broader Growth team and creative leadership to provide motivational support for copywriting, visual design and UX disciplines/crafts.
- Maintain a deep and empathetic understanding of the customer, while advocating for customer-centric marketing and design experiences.
- Help leadership build and maintain creative culture, identity, and meaning within the broader design group and Growth team.
- Help create a positive creative environment where design can flourish daily.
- Stay familiar with the latest trends, work in the design and advertising industry, new web technologies and potential uses.
- Create briefs and accurate design plans to address the LOE, time and tasks to complete creative work across large/complex projects.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 10+ years related agency, startup, or corporate experience achieving impressive results for leading consumer brands
- At least 2-3 years of experience in-House Creative Director or similar creative leadership role
- Bachelor's degree and/or relevant experience
- Strong passion for shaping and managing brands, writing compelling copy, typography, illustration, color, and overall design craft with the portfolio to prove it
- Deep knowledge of digital landscape, processes and the creative tools and processes
- Must be a digital native with experience crafting brands and integrated campaigns, as well as leading the design of interactive experiences and websites for a variety of consumer-facing brands
- Deep experience strategically crafting digital advertising, integrated campaigns, direct marketing, activations, interaction design and branding with emerging brands and products across channels and media
- Experience working in a dynamic and fluid environment with multi-discipline teams
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines
- Understanding of project lifecycle and process: able to understand complex project requirements, understand briefs and work collaboratively to translate them into delightful experiences and designs
- Demonstrate fantastic communication skills and a meticulous eye for detail, as well as explain creative choices and concepts rationally
- Deep knowledge and ability to quickly adopt and leverage design and project process tools like Sketch, Abstract, Jira, and Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Experience with Google Docs, InVision or other prototyping tools and remote working collaboration tools
- A fresh thinker who embraces challenges, opportunities to learn new tools, and new methods of thinking
- Available to travel 10-15% to meet with teams in other offices and help with customer research
- Experience working remotely with teams in other locations and time zones
- Experience directing video, motion and behavior animation
- Experience working in growing startup environments
- Experience creating branding and digital marketing for D2C brands
- Knowledge of growth marketing concepts and frameworks
- Experience working remotely with teams in other locations
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of vacation + six weeks of parental leave, and great work-life balance. Our office building offers on-site shower and bike stalls, and panoramic views of San Francisco.
- Location: Due to COVID-19 our teams are all working remotely through 2020. We provide an in-home office set-up including laptop, monitor, ergonomic desk, chair and other items as needed
- Location: Post COVID-19: San Francisco, CA near Montgomery Bart Station or remote. Paid relocation possible.
- This role is employed by Blue Owl LLC, the solutions provider to HiRoad.
What we need:
- Please submit a resume, portfolio and a brief but compelling cover letter.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf