VP of Product
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to make good things happen in the world by recognizing and rewarding people for making positive choices — to create a safer and more sustainable future for all with the help of data science, design, and mobile technology. To start, we’re reengineering the core technology that will shape the future of the property and casualty insurance industry and enable a world where insurance and adjacent industries reward people for the good choices they make.
But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology. It’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
We’re looking for an accomplished VP of Product with a background bringing category-defining consumer technology products to market and successfully scaling them. This is a key executive leadership position within the company that will own product vision, strategy, roadmap, and execution. The successful applicant will relish the challenge that is creating a novel product within an extremely competitive market with vast complexities.
The VP of Product will be ultimately accountable for the market success of our digital products, including our website, quote and purchase funnel, mobile app, and internal insurance platform. You’ll be expected to hire, mentor, and guide a team of exceptional product directors and managers, while working in a highly collaborative manner with other teams and stakeholders. You’ll take pride in empowering individuals and teams to deliver outstanding user experiences that redefine the category and achieve strategic outcomes.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, champion, and execute a product vision consistent with the overarching company vision and mission, based on a deep understanding of our customers’ needs
- Direct the product org to translate that vision into an actionable strategy and roadmap, leading company product prioritization
- Ensure successful product launch and lifecycle, with success defined as achieving desired business outcomes measured by product KPIs, not just delivering features
- Drive constant product innovation while optimizing engineering and other resources, leveraging prototyping and experimentation
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to define, implement, and continuously improve product development best practices, including team shape (e.g. “stream-aligned” or “squad”/”pod” models) and balancing resource allocation against company priorities
- Lead, coach, and grow a team of talented Product Directors and Managers
- Work closely with research, design, and product marketing to create differentiated value for our users
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of experience in Product leadership OR equivalent experience leading Product for category-defining consumer digital products, preferably both web-based and mobile
- Experience creating and managing relevant high-growth digital products and teams and working through the changes that come with scaling
- Strong analytical and skills and a deep understanding of how to leverage data science capabilities
- Expert at product experimentation, A/B testing, and prototyping
- Experience building Product teams and processes from their early stages with expert level leadership and people management skills
- An active participant in Product Management and willingness to “get your hands dirty”
- Ability to succeed in a regulated industry
- Salary: We pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of PTO, six weeks of parental leave (12 weeks for parents who give birth), and great work-life balance.
- Reports to: Steve Harris - SVP
- Key Collaborators: Executive Leadership, Product Directors
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US but will need to be actively available during the core business hours of 9:00AM - 4:00PM, PST, since a majority of time will be spent collaborating with team members in this time zone. Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office, post-COVID, for in-person collaboration purposes and other gatherings. Frequency still being determined.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance notice: