VP of People
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a billion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
We are looking for an accomplished and enthusiastic Vice President of People to build and drive our culture and team development across our organization. Reporting to BlueOwl’s SVP, this critical first-time role will have a direct impact on our organization’s evolution. You will have the opportunity to assist in building a culture that values curiosity, humility, and a hunger for excellence. This is an exceptional opportunity to further define and optimize how we identify, recruit, develop and retain top talent while providing a world-class employee experience. The ideal candidate is an experienced and passionate leader who’s built and influenced high-performing cultures at distributed growth-stage startups.
- You’re excited to jump into a growing company, and build a culture people want to be a part of.
- You’re willing to dive into the insurtech category and understand how our business works.
- You build rapport quickly and understand dynamics and opportunity spaces.
- You have the ability to manage a complex set of stakeholders and advocate change.
- You are comfortable rolling up your sleeves to get things done.
- You are known as having outstanding leadership, communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills, coupled with high social and emotional intelligence.
- You crave building a high-performance culture and enjoy being in an environment of continuous positive change.
- You are ready to lead day one. You are an action-oriented leader who seeks to add value by not only owning your portfolio but proactively assessing where to contribute beyond the scope of your role.
- You deliver consistent strong results. Former colleagues are extremely keen to work with you again.
- You have a deep understanding of equity and belonging. You consider yourself a subject matter expert. You see current inequities and peoples blind spots and missteps as exciting opportunities for change.
- You are a seasoned leader that others love to work for. You inspire your team to do the best work of their careers and show them a deep level of caring and support. You will help them embrace the larger vision, think through problems and clear roadblocks, while still giving them the autonomy and recognition to excel in their roles.
- You are a strong cross-functional collaborator. You partner and build effective relationships across the business.
- You seek solutions and come to the table with an open mind and a multitude of ideas to accomplish objectives. You seek to understand, learn and evolve in this space, and you are passionate about broadening perspectives and approaches.
- Executive leadership: be a trusted strategic partner and advisor to the management team.
- Lead Organizational Development: including Learning and Development (L&D), Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB), performance management, and workforce planning.
- Culture and accountability: implement programs and organizational "habits" that reinforce our values.
- Coaching: help uplevel our top performers and hold fellow executive teammates to their highest leadership standards
- Performance management: elevate our company's core performance management activities, succession planning, and related processes
- 10+ years of experience in a People leadership role directly supporting an executive team
- 5+ years of experience in a growth oriented startup environment
- Experience owning and growing diversity and inclusion
- Strong thought leadership and best practices in People leadership
- Proven capability as a leader, manager, and a great developer of talent
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with all levels of employees
- Exceptional communication, partnering and conflict management skills.
- High emotional intelligence and a grounded, approachable style
- Solid organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Someone who can thrive in a startup environment.
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of vacation + six weeks of parental leave, and great work-life balance. Our office building offers on-site shower and bike stalls, and panoramic views of San Francisco.
- Location: Due to COVID-19 our teams are all working remotely through 2020. We provide an in-home office set-up including laptop, monitor, ergonomic desk, chair and other items as needed
- Location: Post COVID-19: San Francisco, CA near Montgomery Bart Station
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf