Product Design Director
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well—creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring the talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
We’re looking for a Product Design Director with impressive experience and a track record leading and shaping the design of innovative digital products, apps and world-class experiences. At BlueOwl, you’ll join the integrated Growth team playing a central role in growing our design culture, managing the design and delivery of our product experiences and working with a cross-functional group of mission-driven teammates inventing the future of behavior-based insurance for the HiRoad brand and products.
As Product Design Director, you are accountable for establishing a design vision and strategy that delivers exceptional and innovative user experiences across multiple products and channels while supporting customer and business goals. Utilizing a full range of organizational and interpersonal leadership skills, you will collaborate with product, business, engineering and design partners to push our product experiences to the highest standard. As an inspiring design leader, you will help orchestrate the creation of category-defining products, facilitate brainstorming, mentor your talented team to operate at their highest level and advocate for design excellence to make our brand mission and vision tangible in every touchpoint.
You’ve travelled many roads and led design for numerous product types from digital services and mobile apps to SaaS and eCommerce experiences. You’re ready for the next challenge, having delivered products that produce results and won some awards along the way. You’ve built product design teams, design systems and truly phenomenal experiences that drive engagement and retention. When it comes to design, you love to touch it all—from defining the vision to ensuring detailed consistency across platforms. But you’re not one to rest on your laurels or be driven by ego. Instead, your passion for your craft, curious mind and desire to see your team succeed fuels a broad interest in directing design across every touchpoint to produce what truly matters: products your customers love.
- You’re a hybrid with a passion for amazing products. Leveraging your experience creating category defining product experiences, you’re a master of your craft with deep expertise in interaction design, customer-centric design, systems-thinking and storytelling. And you know how to navigate the process required to bring it together in ways that drive delightful engagement and turn users into loyal advocates. You know firsthand how to bridge the gap between customer needs, a business strategy and bringing the brand essence to life through design. Which you’ve done repeatedly. And you know that it takes a village to do it successfully.
- You're a fantastic communicator. Both within your team, and without, you have to be able to give voice to your vision, and present your ideas effectively and objectively. Teams must be able to get it and create it. In addition, your delivery has to be as inspiring as your idea—encouraging them to think outside the box and deliver excellence.
- You're a low ego collaborator and competent leader. You understand that without your team to give it life, your vision is worthless. You understand that inspiration flows back and forth between you and your design team, but also the broader multidisciplinary teams like Product and Engineering—that’s why you listen to them and they in turn listen to you. You are as much a collaborator as a leader. You also recognize the need to make the decision to take a particular path, as you own the designed outcome.
- You lead with energy and passion for your craft. Creativity, design, technology and the digital space are your lifeblood and you inspire your design team, compelling them to go above and beyond. You want to work where you can shape the design culture—and where the full breadth of your intelligence and leadership skills are needed.
- You’re a visionary and create strategically. With a strong acumen to shape and express the essence of our brand through our product experiences, you have the ability to deliver great work that meets customer and business needs—orchestrating the design of amazing interactions that inspire emotional connections and generates results is your target.
- You keep it together. You’re a master housekeeper—organized, methodical and timely. That’s how you stay on top of everything. Specifically, you need to be able to map the design vision into a plan that the team can implement. You help set and meet expectations for deliverables, estimations and project plans. You plan your team skill sets and structure to support and push the design to deliver extraordinary results.
- You’re an entrepreneur. And with an entrepreneurial sprint, you’re a confident self-starter that has a passion for building teams, process and most importantly culture. In other words, you don’t just experience the culture, you help make it. You recognize that great company cultures come from the team you help build, shape and nurture—which is how healthy and successful companies grow.
- Lead, develop and inspire a team of Managers and Product Designers, unifying and growing the skills of others in addition to collaborating with the broader team of creative functions—creative directors, art directors, designers, writers, producers and illustrators—providing leadership and rolling up your sleeves to get things done.
- Partner with the multidisciplinary Growth team to brainstorm engagement strategies and innovative approaches to help increase retention and satisfaction with our products across channels and touchpoints.
- Accountable for building strong relationships with leadership across Growth, Product, Design and Engineering teams and executive leadership to foster a collaborative environment and align on our company strategy.
- Work with multiple Product teams to initiate new product and feature implementation, while influencing teams with positive, insightful and inspiring emotional presence to keep teams focused on solving business problems across the customer lifecycle.
- Ensure designs inspire, engage and serve our target audience with thoughtful and differentiating experiences and desirable award-winning design approaches.
- Accountable for building a strong design culture through collaboration, advocating for user value, design quality and best practices, and improving our how we work.
- Help establish and guide the expression of our design system, while solidifying and evolving our brand’s visual language across experiences with design and product leadership.
- Partner and establish strong rapport with your Designers, Copywriters, Product Managers, Front-end Engineers and Marketing Specialists to bring your vision to life.
- Work collaboratively to help brief design teams, review and refine creative work in line with strategic objectives.
- Partner with the broader Growth team and creative leadership to provide motivational support for copywriting, visual design and UX disciplines/crafts.
- Oversee and guide the creation of design documentation (sitemaps, wireframes, journey maps, design libraries, etc).
- Set expectations and maintain high standards of quality of the work for the team; demand excellence and encourage craftsmanship
- Manage a high performing team with compassion; Attract, retain, develop, and manage talents to reach their best potentials; be the ambassador within and outside of LinkedIn to build the Design brand
- Maintain a deep and empathetic understanding of the customer, while advocating for customer-centric marketing and design experiences.
- Ensure our products inspire, educate and activates target audiences with thoughtful and differentiating messaging, engaging stories and desirable design
- Oversee and provide thought leadership in the assessment of our end-to-end user experience across all platforms for usefulness, usability, visual design, content, and brand expression.
- Work with Research and Analytics teams to test and optimize designs to improve performance and relevance.
- Excel in operational excellence, great at prioritizing works and resources across product teams to maximize impact on the business and the user experience
- Identify new innovative product opportunities and whitespace beyond insurance that align to our brand mission, customer and business model by challenging the organization to look outward and inward for valuable data and insights.
- Lead brainstorming, concept development and sketching sessions to generate ideas and direction for ideas.
- Manage and direction usage UI design patterns in a systematic and scalable way to help maintain accessibility, quality, and consistency across our digital products.
- Help lead the creation and use a system of design templates, components and elements across marketing on websites, digital experiences and properties, and media.
- Understand competitive landscape and seek out and suggest new solutions, concepts, design approaches and best-practices.
- Help leadership build and maintain creative culture, identity, and meaning within the broader design group and Growth team.
- Help create a positive creative environment where design can flourish daily.
- Stay familiar with the latest trends, work in the design and advertising industry, new web technologies and potential uses.
- Create briefs and accurate design plans to address the LOE, time and tasks to complete creative work across large/complex projects.
Requirements & Qualifications
- 10+ years related tech startup and corporate experience designing for leading consumer brands with combined hands-on experience through practice and management of Product Design
- Expert knowledge of all facets of product design practices, including design strategy, service design, UX/UI design (iOS, Android and Web), writing, user research, motion/animation and accessibility standards
- Bachelor's degree and/or relevant experience
- Strong experience in providing vision and guidance that helps shape the future of the business and product experiences
- Strong passion for branding, interaction design, storytelling, typography, illustration, color, and overall design craft with the portfolio to prove it
- Deep knowledge of digital landscape, processes and the creative tools and processes
- Exceptional ability to influence on other product areas across the organization, drive strategy and vision across channels and touchpoints
- Exceptional ability to deliver design solutions that bridge the gap between the products we make and our strategies to drive customer growth, retention and engagement
- Exceptional ability to develop teams of designers to become the next generation of key contributors—promoting sharing work openly and welcoming feedback
- Mastery in solving unstructured problems that have many dependencies and may have lengthy timelines, interpreting ambiguity and transforming it into effective, actionable plans with cross-functional partners
- Demonstrate fantastic communication skills and a meticulous eye for detail, as well as explain creative choices and concepts rationally
- Flexible by nature and experience working in a dynamic and fluid environment with multi-discipline teams
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines
- Understanding of project lifecycle and process: able to understand complex project requirements, understand briefs and work collaboratively to translate them into delightful experiences and designs
- Strong experience leading design operations and direction: process, tool sets, design systems, accessibility, design production process, etc.
- Deep knowledge and ability to quickly adopt and leverage design and project process tools like Sketch, Abstract, Jira, and Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Experience with Google Docs, InVision, Framer or other prototyping tools and remote working collaboration tools
- A fresh thinker who embraces challenges, opportunities to learn new tools, and new methods of thinking
- Available to travel 10-15% to meet with teams in other offices and help with customer research
- Experience working remotely with teams in other locations and time zones
- Deep knowledge of motion and behavior animation
- Experience in transitioning a start-up culture to an established company’s transparent structure with collaborative and strategically aligned initiatives
- Experience guiding the creation of service experiences
- Deep knowledge of service design methodologies and practice
- Knowledge of growth concepts and frameworks
- Salary: We pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of PTO, six weeks of parental leave (12 weeks for parents who give birth), and great work-life balance.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during the core business hours of 9:00AM - 5:00PM, PST, since a majority of time will be spent collaborating with team members in this time zone. Preferred SF Bay Area resident.
- Some travel required once the San Francisco office re-opens. Frequency TBD
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office, post-COVID, for in-person collaboration purposes and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
What we need
- Please submit a resume, portfolio and a brief but compelling cover letter.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf