San Francisco, CA /
Research & Insights /
We’re here to create a safer, happier and more mindful future for all with the help of data science, engineering, design, and mobile technology. We're starting by reinventing insurance, by rethinking the technologies that enable it, but our true goal is to build a platform that rewards people for driving well — creating safer roads with fewer accidents in the process.
Backed by impressive funding, we're poised to re-engineer a trillion-dollar category, and that’s just the beginning. We’re using rich customer insights, advanced technology and data science to build our cloud-native InsurTech solution, and other things we haven’t even dreamt up yet. We're out to change behavior and promote mindful living at a societal level. But the key to us being successful in our mission isn’t just about nailing the technology—it’s about hiring talented people who can help us make a quantifiable impact in the world. We’re growing our world-class team.
And that’s where you come in.
As part of the Research and Insights team, the accomplished and well-rounded Researcher uses research as a strategic tool to generate insights that result in customer and business value. You’re responsible for conducting outstanding qualitative and quantitative research to uncover actionable customer insights. Working across the customer journey, you generate customer personas and actionable customer insights that help the organization decide how best to acquire and retain target customers, and which additional product features to build.
In addition to generative research, you may also conduct evaluative research to ensure that customers can use to-be-tested and to-be-implemented assets as intended.
Tasks of the Researcher involve identifying opportunity areas, planning and conducting research, synthesizing findings and implementing insights while working side-by-side with Copywriters, Data Science, Designers, Engineering, Marketing and Product leadership.
- Your research speaks for itself. You've conducted outstanding research to understand and segment target customers and their behaviors, attitudes, and motivations. The customer archetypes and findings you’ve identified and refined showcase your rigor and ability to pick out the insights from the noise, but you’re most proud of the measurable impact your work has had on creating value for customers and meeting business goals.
- You’re creative and curious. You have a scientific mind and a genuine fascination with how people think and behave. You know when to use qualitative and/or quantitative methods to generate the best insights and you’re always ready to add new tools to your toolbox to answer challenging questions. You automatically translate what you hear into a list of hypotheses and ideas while wanting to learn more. And you want to work where you can help grow these capabilities while reinventing an industry long overdue for change.
- You are a self-starter. You don’t wait for orders and identify what we need to learn. You find the answers to questions that others believe to be impossible to answer.
- You're a team player. You’re a great listener, open to feedback and able to take a problem and execute on it. You’re low ego and don’t fall in love with your own ideas, and instead have a strong desire to push them. You involve other team members throughout the process to assure your insights are implemented and deliver impact.
- You work strategically. You have the ability to see a project through from problem statement to insight and impact while meeting customer and business needs. Distilling complex research problems and effectively communicating to a technical and non-technical audience are natural to you.
- You are organized, methodical, and timely. You are able to meet or exceed all expectations for deliverables. You can work within deadlines, and direction, as well as outside vendors as needed.
- You’re emotionally intelligent and naturally empathetic. As both an expert on decision-making and a human being, you understand that ideas and emotions are interwoven and empathy is a powerful vehicle for innovation. You use your expertise to support and elevate those around you and actively foster an inclusive environment.
- Validate and develop our understanding of HiRoad customers’ needs, preferences, desires, choices and decision-making processes.
- Implement a program to refine our understanding of our target customers by implementing an on-going target customer program.
- Maintain a deep and empathetic understanding of the customer, while advocating for customer-informed experiences.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research studies, including contextual research, remote interviews, diary studies, surveys, discussion guides, screeners, usability studies, personas, journey maps, empathy maps, to generate actionable insights that help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Collaborate across the organization (Design, Content, DS, PM, Dev) to identify research opportunities,conduct high-impact research, and disseminate insights in the organization.
- Collaborate with Growth, Product, Data Science and the business to ensure research and insights are woven throughout everything we do.
- Help define and employ best practices, processes, and methodologies that enable research also outside the core Research team.
- Help build and maintain an evidence-based decision making culture.
- Stay familiar with the latest research, new methods and potential application to Research work.
- Conduct desk research to help teams stay up to date on business domain and macro trends across industries.
- Continually explore and share new quantitative and qualitative research and analysis methods coming out of research.
- Support Researcher & Insights Manager in the continued development of the research practice within the organization by helping build processes, roadmaps and protocols.
- Provide direction to other researchers, designers and team members on research methods and approaches.
- Adeptly manage multiple competing tasks and deadlines.
- Help create a positive environment where creativity, curiosity and collaboration can flourish daily.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Graduate degree with a focus on Decision Science, Psychology, Research Methods, Economics, Human-computer Interaction (HCI), or similar
- 8+ years of professional experience leading the planning and executing mixed method research studies using techniques such as 1:1 interviews, co-creation sessions, survey design, and experimental design
- 8+ years of experience eliciting insights from generative research and conducting evaluative research, including applications to user acquisition
- Effective verbal and written communication style distilling complex multi-method research reports into understandable, compelling, and actionable insights
- Solid statistical analysis skills and understanding of sample size determination, standard deviation, statistical significance, hypothesis testing, A/B testing and data cleansing
- Great knowledge of Qualtrics, Usertesting, & dscout and working knowledge of Python, and SQL
- Experience working in a dynamic and outcome focussed environment and with cross-functional teams
- Ability to see many different ways to tackle a problem and weigh the pros/cons of each
- Ability to work in a cross functional team in a quickly growing organization
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once as part of a fast-paced research team
- Capable of balancing business objectives with user needs—representing both sides and balance your decisions, getting the best possible outcome for both
- Willingness to regularly travel within the US
What we need:
- If this sounds like a great fit to you, please submit your resume, a brief cover letter and answer the simple research questions below.
- Reports to the Sr Manager, Research and Insights.
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of vacation + six weeks of parental leave, and great work-life balance.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during the core business hours of 9:00AM - 5:00PM, PST, since a majority of time will be spent collaborating with team members in this time zone.
- Some travel required once the San Francisco office re-opens. Frequency TBD
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office, post-COVID, for in-person collaboration purposes and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf