Business Development Lead
San Francisco, CA /
We’re here to create a safer, happier, and more sustainable future for all with the help of data science, design, and mobile technology. To start, we’re reengineering the core technology that will shape the future of the property and casualty insurance industry and enable a world where insurance and adjacent industries reward people for the good choices they make.
As our Business Development Lead you will be responsible for standing up a robust business development function for BlueOwl while aggressively identifying, negotiating, helping implement, and managing third party partnerships and alliances that support business growth and product differentiation plans. This work allows us to create innovative new products, services, features and experiences via partnerships throughout the digital ecosystem while expanding our overall distribution possibilities and finding new revenue generating opportunities.
This role will require a highly experienced and uniquely talented business development leader. You’ll build and lead the business development function and funnel end-to-end in a hands-on manner. You will be primarily focused on a mix of distribution, product and capability partnerships with varying timescales and levels of impact, crossing B2B and B2C marketspaces.
- A proven strategic leader and results-oriented manager.
- An energetic intrapreneur with a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- An exceptional communicator and relationship builder and manager.
- An innovator who is skilled at achieving meaningful outcomes in a complex, multi-stakeholder, regulated environment.
- A visionary strategist who finds a way to achieve near-term progress while maintaining a long term view, always working collaboratively with business, product, marketing and technology stakeholders.
- An expert in emerging technologies in and around the insurtech space, ideally with experience in a property and casualty insurer and at relevant technology companies in adjacent categories.
- Stand up a robust business development function for BlueOwl working in a highly collaborative manner with product, growth, insurance, data science, and technology leads.
- Shepherd the overall business development pipeline working collaboratively with key stakeholders. Create accurate performance forecasts and deliver upon such projections, consistently moving deals forward through the pipeline and keeping all parties abreast.
- Identify, hunt and execute small, medium and large scale, revenue-generating and customer experience enhancing partnerships across the digital ecosystem that create strategic competitive advantage. Manage the ongoing partner relationship over time with all parties.
- Capability to both sell and help execute/implement partnership activity with internal constituents, bringing the functional components of the business together and helping keep them aligned to drive revenue growth for the company.
- Navigate complex deal structures and partner organizations, owning the deal lifecycle, working collaboratively with appropriate internal stakeholders, and modeling value to them based on shared assumptions.
- Build, lead and manage a high performing team based on business opportunities.
- Have a pulse on and understand the implications of emerging technologies relevant to BlueOwl, InsurTech, and digital property and casualty insurers, preferably with depth in auto insurance (e.g. telematics, future mobility, IoT, connected car, autonomous vehicles, etc.). Stay aware of key players in associated spaces working with internal SMEs.
- Help keep key leaders abreast of what matters across partners and associated industries, including participating in creating artifacts for leadership consumption, working closely with research and insights, marketing, product, and other areas of the company.
- Work effectively with business stakeholders and purchasing/legal teams to help expediently guide contracts, licensing deals, and the like for partnerships and alliances.
- M&A, licensing deals and corporate strategy experience helpful.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 7-10 years of experience in a similar or higher level role doing tech-focused business development, strategic partnerships, corporate strategy, and related.
- A proven track record of success beats education, but BS / BA and graduate degrees, such as a MBA, are helpful.
- Ability to handle all aspects of the role/function initially in a hands-on way and drive the work forward toward successful outcomes. Full P/L and business unit level leadership experience preferred.
- Significant experience laying foundations for successful large-scale deal making and partnership management for pre-scale technology startups.
- Comfortable navigating large, complex organizations and processes both internally and externally.
- Sound business judgment, problem solving and analytical problem solving skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills, including ability to network and build effective relationships from the ground up.
- Deep knowledge in insurance, insurtech, fintech and related industries, including the underlying business opportunities, emerging technologies, and trends.
- Experience in the general technology sector in a similar role at a high growth technology startup and/or a blue chip technology company.
- Reports to the Senior Vice President of Growth Solutions.
- Salary: We invest in first-rate people and pay top-of-market salaries for most positions, factoring in experience, talent and location. We do not offer equity.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401(k), wellness reimbursement, four weeks of vacation + six weeks of parental leave, and great work-life balance. Our office building offers on-site shower and bike stalls, and panoramic views of San Francisco.
- Location: Due to COVID-19 our teams are all working remotely through 2020. We provide an in-home office set-up including laptop, monitor, ergonomic desk, chair and other items as needed
- Location: Post COVID-19: San Francisco, CA near Montgomery Bart Station
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you are a San Francisco resident, please read the City and County of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance notice. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/FCO%20poster2020.pdf