BookNook is on a mission to ensure every child has access to a world-class reading teacher. We offer easy-to-use tools for educators and caring adults, that empower them to provide powerful reading instruction that gets great results. At BookNook, we believe that the best programs are designed by people who have their roots in the classroom. Both our instructional strategy and our curriculum come from experienced educators who have seen firsthand what works best for students.
As a Software Engineer at BookNook, you will immediately play an integral role in building out, scaling and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform. You will join our fast-growing team as an early employee that can build and shape the future direction of our services in delivering outstanding user experiences and learning tools.
At BookNook, you will...
- Build, test, scale, support and frequently refine new products and services.
- Own what you build through the entire product lifecycle.
- Tackle a wide variety of coding challenges throughout the stack and contribute to all parts of our code base.
- Build a platform that teachers thousands of children of read every day.
- Be a team player in a small, flat-structured, highly collaborative environment.
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it.
The ideal candidate will have...
- Experience with modern frontend development
- Experience with code versioning tools, such as Git / Mercurial / SVN (we use Git)
- Full-stack web development experience
- Experience with responsive design
- Passion for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- Someone who cares about the user experience and be driven by solving real-world problems.
- Someone who embraces the agile development process and lean startup approach, grounded in metrics and user data.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
Other types of experience we love (but don't require)...
- Experience with backend technologies, including frameworks such as NodeJS or Django, relational databases, SQL, data modeling, API design, testing, performance optimization, etc. We run a Nodejs / postgres stack that leverages Google Firebase for realtime sync.
- Working in a small startup environment.
- Communicating with users, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Working in a school or educational setting.
What you'll get from us...
- Competitive base salary and equity stake
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Great work/life balance: Unlimited PTO and generous holiday schedule
At BookNook we offer a competitive compensation package with equity, comprehensive benefits and a great work/life balance. We’re a fully remote team with a strong culture and our team is filled with folks drawn to BookNook so that they can make a real tangible improvement for students. BookNook is an Equal Opportunity Employer.