BookNook is a dual bottom line education technology company that is committed to closing the early reading opportunity gap through innovations that prioritize authentic human connections to support learning. We believe the best edtech solutions are developed and supported by people with their roots in the classroom or the social sector, and we strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
As a Software Engineer at BookNook, you will immediately play an integral role in building out, scaling and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform. You will join our fast-growing team as an early employee that can build and shape the future direction of our services in delivering outstanding user experiences and learning tools.
At BookNook You Will
- Build, test, scale, support and frequently refine new products and services.
- Own what you build through the entire product lifecycle.
- Tackle a wide variety of coding challenges throughout the stack and contribute to all parts of our code base.
- Build a platform that teachers thousands of children of read every day.
- Be a team player in a small, flat-structured, highly collaborative environment.
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it.
You are a good fit for this role if you have
- Experience with modern frontend development
- Experience with code versioning tools, such as Git / Mercurial / SVN (we use Git)
- Full-stack web development experience
- Experience with responsive design
- Passion for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- Someone who cares about the user experience and be driven by solving real-world problems.
- Someone who embraces the agile development process and lean startup approach, grounded in metrics and user data.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
Other types of experience we love (but don't require)...
- Experience with backend technologies, including frameworks such as NodeJS or Django, relational databases, SQL, data modeling, API design, testing, performance optimization, etc. We run a Nodejs / postgres stack that leverages Google Firebase for realtime sync.
- Working in a small startup environment.
- Communicating with users, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Working in a school or educational setting.
- Competitive base salary and equity stake
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Unlimited PTO and generous holiday schedule
- AD&D + Life Insurance
- Great work/life balance
- Fantastic team and fun remote work environment
Join a company with a mission. BookNook has been around since 2016, is growing fast, and has already helped tens of thousands of children improve their literacy, especially those that come from the most disadvantaged environments. We're a scrappy, smart team that gets things done but we are strong believers in family, friends, and work-life balance. Work on exciting technology and make a tangible difference in the world every day.