Senior Software Engineer/Tech Lead
BookNook is on a mission to ensure every child has access to a world-class reading teacher. We offer easy-to-use tools for educators and caring adults, that empower them to provide powerful reading instruction that gets great results. At BookNook, we believe that the best programs are designed by people who have their roots in the classroom. Both our instructional strategy and our curriculum come from experienced educators who have seen firsthand what works best for students.
As a Tech Lead at BookNook, you will immediately play an integral role in building out, scaling, and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform. You will join our fast-growing team as an early employee that can build and shape the future direction of our services in delivering outstanding user experiences and learning tools. As a Tech Lead, you will divide your time equally between writing software and leading the engineering team.
At BookNook You Will:
- Supervise and mentor a team of engineers, and help drive engineering culture within the organization.
- Build, test, scale, support, and frequently refine new products and services.
- Own what you build through the entire product lifecycle.
- Tackle a wide variety of coding challenges throughout the stack and contribute to all parts of our codebase.
- Build a platform that teaches reading to thousands of children every day.
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it.
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years of experience of shipping high-quality web-based software
- Deep expertise in backend technologies, including frameworks such as NodeJS or Django, relational databases, SQL, data modeling, API design, testing, performance optimization, etc. We run a Nodejs / Postgres stack that leverages Google Firebase for realtime sync.
- Experience deploying and maintaining software in cloud environments. We host our services on Heroku, AWS, and Google Cloud.
- Passion for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- Someone who cares about the user experience and be driven by solving real-world problems.
- Someone who embraces the agile development process and lean startup approach, grounded in metrics and user data.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
At BookNook we offer a competitive compensation package with equity, comprehensive benefits and a great work/life balance. We’re a fully remote team with a strong culture and our team is filled with folks drawn to BookNook so that they can make a real tangible improvement for students. BookNook is an Equal Opportunity Employer.