BookNook is on a mission to reinvent the where, how, and who of small group learning for elementary school students. We offer easy-to-use tools for educators and caring adults, that empower them to provide powerful in-person reading instruction that gets great results. BookNook is a web application that syncs up to five devices of any kind so that groups can work together in a coordinated set of rigorous reading exercises.
Once online, groups access a library of algorithmically-recommended custom texts woven together with a structured curriculum and engaging educational games. BookNook also offers a host of customizable reporting features to provide real-time, actionable information to users and educators.
The Operations Coordinator role is a high-touch, employee-centered position responsible for supporting HR administration, payroll, finance and office coordinator. The ideal individual is a culture junky who is comfortable in a fast paced tech environment while having a strong understanding of education. The Operations Coordinator has a high impact on the culture of BookNook - maintaining our current office environment and building our values will be key to successfully scaling the org while keeping attrition low.
The Operations Coordinator will be responsible for HR administration, bookkeeping, and general office support. The Operations Coordinator should be someone who lives and breathes BookNook values, is able to work with people at all levels of the company and can represent BookNook both internally and externally. Operations Coordinator should be hyper organized, able to manage multiple projects at once, and be an excellent communicator.
This is an entry-level role that reports directly to the Head of Operations and is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to get into the tech and education world. The role will manage specific tasks when the Head of Operations is out on maternity leave, and will have opportunity for rapid professional growth when the Head of the team returns.
- Maintain HR files for all full time and part time employees
- Train new employees in HR policies and welcome them to BookNook
- Manage database of background checks for volunteers and employees
- Research, manage and administer systems for employee benefits
- Act as the payroll manager and manage compensation changes while regularly processing payroll
- Lead benefit open enrollment, 401k plans, along with annual audits
- Lead bi-annual compensation assessments – analyzing market data to current staff and recommending adjustments based on performance
- Source and screen candidates for full time company positions
- Manage recruiting database and run monthly reports
- Support interview scheduling
- Reconcile monthly expenses and maintain financial records in QuickBooks
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports on spending to leadership team
- Initiate employer branding with Glassdoor and other public profiles
- Coordinate events and activities for the team to promote office culture
- Act as the head of office maintenance - maintain supplies, snacks, and share space
- Support Head of Operations with special projects including but not limited to content development and event planning
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with office coordination
- Experience with HR administration and/or bookkeeping
- Strong communicator and attention to detail
- Excited to work at a growing start up
- 2-3 years professional experience
Join a company with a mission and a real business. BookNook has been around since 2016, is growing fast and has already helped hundreds of children improve their literacy, especially those that come from the most disadvantaged environments. We'll be in over 100 schools in 2017-18 and over 500 in 2018-19 and we need you to help us get there. We're a scrappy, smart team that gets things done but we are strong believers in family, friends and work-life balance. Work on exciting technology and make a real tangible difference in the world every day.