Associate Counsel, Legal & Compliance
New York /
Operations & Finance /
< Not just tech. Not just insurance. Something better. >
Boost powers white-labeled insurance programs for innovators across all industries. Our platform helps tech companies offer modern insurance products to their customers within their own frontend environments. Boost’s infrastructure-as-a-service product, IaaS for short, abstracts and simplifies an old school, complicated industry – and unlocks access through a cutting-edge API platform. Our customers are leading consumer and enterprise technology companies as well as game changing insurtech startups and we give them everything they need to quickly get to market with their own programs to monetize the insurance vertical.
What does that mean? That’s ‘abstracted and simplified’ language for boring insurance stuff like ‘A’-rated insurance paper, dedicated risk capacity to pay claims, and ongoing policy and claims administration – but it’s all powered programmatically by our backend API-driven systems. Technically we’re a licensed managing general agency, we’re just redefining what that means.
Our company is backed by an awesome group of investors including Coatue, Greycroft, Norwest Venture Partners, Tusk Venture Partners, State National, and Nephila. We’re having a ton of fun, growing like crazy, and looking for forward thinking folks to join our team.
The Associate Counsel, Legal & Compliance will play a critical role in the development and management of Boost’s insurance programs including but not limited to supporting product development, workflow and operational compliance, regulatory review, and partner negotiation. Reporting directly to the Head of Legal & Compliance, the candidate will be responsible for executing the legal compliance strategy across every facet of Boost's business including insurance product development, licensing, reporting, and other regulatory requirements as well as assisting in corporate/transactional legal responsibilities.
The Associate Counsel will work closely with the Insurance, Growth, Operations, and Technology teams as well as external partners and stakeholders. The role requires a hungry, driven, and high-performing professional with the creative legal mind necessary to responsibly foster innovation in a highly-regulated market.
· Execute compliance strategy involving product development, new product filings, admitted/surplus lines matters, producer licensing, and insurance program management.
· Support Boost’s Growth, Insurance, Operations, and Technology teams in the vetting, development and roll out of new insurance products offered across all personal and commercial P&C product lines including a program’s legal viability as well as the drafting, reviewing, and approving policy wording and regulatory communication.
· Research compliance and regulatory requirements necessary to implement new products in the marketplace.
· Monitor ongoing development of new laws, rules, and regulations across all jurisdictions.
· Counsel internal team members as well as external partners and stakeholders on various insurance regulatory and compliance matters.
· Review and approve written communication with state insurance regulators in connection with new product filings.
· Draft and manage various commercial contracts and agreements with external partners, third party vendors/suppliers, and brokers/agents.
· Collaborate and manage external counsel when necessary.
· Assist in general business operations including licensing, reporting, and other compliance needs.
· Must have JD from top-tier law school.
· Must be admitted and in good standing in at least one US state bar.
· Must have 2-5 years of relevant experience with a top law firm or in-house legal department.
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent research skills with the ability to research statutes and regulations and communicate them effectively internally and externally to diverse stakeholders.
· Creative legal mind that is willing to find solutions rather than default to status quo.
· Must be willing to learn new things and take on new responsibilities.
· Willing to work in New York City full-time or relocate.
· Knowledge of/experience with insurtech startups and common issues faced in that market.
· Experience drafting and revising policy language.
· Experience with insurance product filing compliance and communicating with state insurance regulators.
· Experience with both admitted and non-admitted lines is a plus.
· Previous experience working with startups or tech companies is a plus.
· Long-term goal-oriented consistent with startup life.
· Self-starter with the ability to derive need without being told exactly what to do.
· A fun, badass attitude with a desire to build something huge.
· Willingness to “get in the weeds” and “get hands dirty” with a “no task is too small” attitude.
· Adept at learning and utilizing new technologies in the workplace.
· Insatiable intellectual curiosity and creativity.
Compensation & Benefits
· Salary + equity commensurate with experience and company stage.
· Employer-Contributed Healthcare.
· Best office dogs in the business.
· Jeans and t-shirts environment.
· Huge bags of Swedish Fish.
· Beer (it’s 5 o'clock somewhere).
· Work with a close-knit team that always has each other's backs.