Director of Underwriting
Boost powers white-labeled insurance programs for innovators across all industries. Our platform helps tech companies offer modern insurance products to their customers within their own frontend environments. Boost’s infrastructure-as-a-service product, IaaS for short, abstracts and simplifies an old school, complicated industry – and unlocks access through a cutting-edge API platform. Our customers are leading consumer and enterprise technology companies as well as game changing insurtech startups and we give them everything they need to quickly get to market with their own programs to monetize the insurance vertical.
What does that mean? That’s ‘abstracted and simplified’ language for insurance stuff like ‘A’-rated insurance paper, dedicated risk capacity to pay claims, and ongoing policy and claims administration – but it’s all powered programmatically by our backend API-driven systems. Technically we’re a licensed managing general agency, we’re just redefining what that means.
Our company is backed by an awesome group of investors including Coatue Management, Greycroft, Norwest Venture Partners, Tusk Venture Partners, State National, and Nephila. We’re having a ton of fun, growing like crazy, and looking for forward thinking guys and gals to join our team.
Come join a high growth and dynamic startup for the opportunity to drive our underwriting strategy as the business takes off!
The Director of Underwriting will play a critical role on the Insurance Team, collaborating on the development and maintenance of sound underwriting guidelines and other tasks for each of Boost’s Insurtech Partners. The Director of Underwriting will regularly engage with Boost’s reinsurance partners during the program development phase and assist the Chief Insurance Officer with facilitating fronting carrier and reinsurer communications. The candidate will manage the high-level underwriting needs of Boost’s Insurtech Partners and work cross-functionally with the Growth, Technology, and Legal teams to implement and manage insurance programs, including due diligence, underwriting guideline development, audit and performance oversight, and adherence to program terms.
Reporting directly to the Chief Insurance Officer, the role requires a hungry, driven, high-performing professional with the creative underwriting mind necessary to find solutions and foster innovation in a highly-regulated market, whether it be the use of a new technology to garner a different approach and ultimate result to underwriting, a brand new product, or a different type of distribution.
- Establish a deep understanding of Boost’s insurance and technology capabilities in order to develop and articulate strategies that best serve our clients.
- Collaborate with the Growth, Technology, and Legal Teams on the research and diligence of potential of Insurtech Partner’s insurance strategies
- Develop and execute underwriting guidelines for Boost’s Insurtech Partners, coordinating with Boost’s reinsurance partners.
- Work closely with the Directors of Insurance Operations and Insurance Product Development on program development with a focus on marketplace, reinsurance risk, and developing profit & loss projections for each program.
- Manage the oversight of Boost’s audit program that ensures regulatory compliance and report on results monthly
- Support Chief Insurance Officer with all communication with Boost’s reinsurance and carrier partners.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Must have 7+ years of experience in either Property or Casualty lines in an underwriting role
- Must have a creative underwriting mind that is capable of finding solutions rather than defaulting to the status quo
- Must have strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Must have an understanding of the reinsurance market
- Exceptional research skills with the ability to analyze and break down complex problems, find solutions, and communicate them effectively across diverse stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Resourceful with a passion for diving deep into new topics to become a subject matter expert
- High degree of interest and working knowledge of insurtech trends
- Willing to work in New York City full-time or relocate
- Authorized to work in the United States
- P&C license preferred, but not required
- Strong preference for experience underwriting more than one line of business
- Strong preference for casualty or commercial lines
- Previous experience working at startups or tech companies is a plus
- Long-term goal-oriented consistent with startup life
- Self-starter with the ability to derive need without being told exactly what to do
- A fun, badass attitude with a desire to build something huge
- Willingness to “get in the weeds” and “get hands dirty” with a “no task is too small” attitude
- Adept at learning and utilizing new technologies in the workplace
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity and creativity
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary + Equity commensurate with experience and company stage
- Medical/Vision/Dental benefits with employer contribution
- Health and Wellness Benefits
- A close-knit team that always has each other's backs
- Best office dogs in the business
- Jeans and t-shirts environment
- Huge bags of Swedish Fish
- Office Beer (it’s 5 o'clock somewhere)