Bastrop, TX /
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
- Support the design of structures of tunnel boring machines and associated support equipment through.
- Develop finite element models to perform linear and non-linear structural analysis of various welded steel structures.
- Act as a subject matter expert for finite element analysis, providing assistance and direction to other team members as needed.
- Make recommendations for structure edits, material changes or weld reduction.
- Develop structural concepts and perform preliminary sizing using classical mechanics calculations and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to meet stiffness, strength and other critical requirements.
- Employ competent use of judgment, hand calculations, FEA and CAD to develop and communicate designs.
- Own project schedule to ensure timely completion from conception to implementation.
- Communicate schedule to stakeholders and others with dependent systems, bringing attention to changes in schedule as they happen.
- Constantly evaluate how the system fits into the larger picture of a working operation. Ensure that design choices are in line with the top level needs with ample consideration of future developments.
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or similar).
- 3+ years of experience in Mechanical Engineering role or relevant position.
- Experience in the structural analysis methods and documentation, weld sizing, bolted joints, and buckling.
- Proficiency in developing and resolving complex load cases induced by the tunnel boring machine or ground pressures.
- Experience in linear static and non-linear structural analysis using FEA tools such as ANSYS Mechanical, Solidworks Simulation, SimSolid, etc.
- Understanding of common steel fabrication methods such as rolling, bending welding, machining, and waterjet cutting.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- Knowledgeable in mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Willing to travel to job sites as required to commission & develop new designs, as well as troubleshoot and problem solve existing designs.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.