Senior Mechanical Engineer
Billerica, MA /
About Boston Materials
Founded in 2016, Boston Materials is a high-performance materials company enabling manufacturers of industrial and consumer products to break through their design trade-offs with new materials. The company’s patented Z-axis Fiber™ technology is a lightweight material that has an extraordinary ability to diffuse energy (structural, thermal or electrical). It is produced from 100% reclaimed carbon fiber, enabling new, high-volume, energy-efficient products that have a low carbon footprint. By turning a $2B per year waste stream into high-value, advanced materials, Boston Materials is enabling the next generation of products and unlocking a circular economy. To learn more about Boston Materials, visit bomaterials.com.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Everything that we want to do in life depends on materials. Consider the Bronze Age, Iron Age, Age of Plastics – our evolution as a society is defined by the materials that we use. Products, from airplanes, electric vehicles, to semiconductor devices, are all enabled and limited by the materials that are available to us. Boston Materials is driven by the vision that creating novel materials will empower industry leaders to make new and better products.
We are hiring a well-seasoned Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our expanding team and play a major role in developing and building new game-changing composite materials!!
The Purpose of this Role:
We hire people that are eager to make an impact!
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Boston Materials, you will own the development of new, unique solutions using Z-axis Fiber products to solve the immediate challenges and unlock new design opportunities for major customers. You will be responsible for driving component design and process development from the concept stages to scaled production, ensuring quality is maintained throughout the lifecycle of the program.
The Impact You Will Make in this Role:
- Drive new component designs made with Z-axis Fiber products through proof-of-concept, pilot production and first-article manufacturing
- Specify, execute, and validate technical direction for advanced molded parts and material development
- Prototype fabrication of composite structures via compression molding, injection molding, over-molding, and machining
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge in areas of responsibility, including client needs and latest technologies to inform product design
- Ensure compliance with quality assurance (QA) initiatives
Your Skills and Expertise:
- Minimum BS in mechanical engineering, or a related technical field
- 5+ years of technical experience designing and developing plastic components or similar
- Previous success as a key technical contributor on the launch of a new product
- Applied real-world component design and testing experiences, background in mechanics and analysis
- Experience with universal test machines, fixture design, VBA and instrument interfacing is preferred
- Experience in operating process equipment; including, ovens, presses, waterjet cutters etc.
- Knowledge of composites, fiber, polymers, etc. is desirable
- Experience using CAD & FEA tool (e.g., SolidWorks, Ansys, etc.) and performing statistical analysis
- Familiar with Lab View, SOLIDWORKS, and general productivity software
Summary of benefits:
- Health, Vision & Dental – Boston Materials pays 75% of Health, Vision and Dental Care coverage for employee and dependents
- 401(k) plan
- 4 weeks of supplemental Paid Paternity and Family Leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Holidays: 14 days/year
Boston Materials is an EOE and at the forefront of materials innovation, the key to which is diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis.