Merchant Risk and Underwriting Manager
Los Angeles /
Operations – Payments /
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, our scheduling, point of sale, and conversation platform was carefully designed to drive revenue, automate workflows, and convert customers from visitors into valuable, long-term clients. By facilitating a better, personalized experience across every transaction and interaction
The Merchant Risk and Underwriting Manager will be responsible for implementing Boulevard’s merchant underwriting and risk management policies. You will have a deep understanding of attributes that determine approval of a merchant application with respect to Boulevard Acquirer and Card brand rules. You will partner with Sales, Customer Success and Finance teams to drive a data and tools driven approach to merchant underwriting and approval process. You will also evaluate current underwriting and risk programs, and help to improve programs to protect the strategic goals of Boulevard.
- Have a high level of proficiency with KYB/KYC and AML requirements relevant to merchant processing
- Support Sales as the Subject Matter Expert with respect to Boulevard’s underwriting and merchant-onboarding requirements
- Evaluate merchant products and services to ensure compliance with underwriting rules
- Leverage internal external tools and systems including public domain websites to verify merchant business and owner information
- Monitor merchant transaction dashboard and Flag suspicious transactions and activities.
- Conduct merchant interviews for possible fraudulent activities
- Escalate and work with acquirer in filing the SAR (Suspicious Activity Report) as needed
- Review personal and business financial information to determine financial condition of the business
- Stay up to date with respect to the rules, regulations, standards and other guidelines related to merchant underwriting and risk management for Payment Facilitators (PayFacs)
- Partner with the Sales and Customer Success teams to manage and facilitate a continuing education program to create awareness on Boulevard merchant underwriting and risk management processes
- Help craft and implement a superior customer underwriting experience unlike any other offered in the payments industry
- Partner with Product Marketing to define and manage the vision, positioning and overall strategy of Boulevard Payments
- Be the key escalation point for all underwriting and risk management related questionsHelp with educating merchants on best practices, risk and fraud management
- Collaborate with other customer success managers and various internal teams to make sure clients are delighted by Boulevard’s offering
- Identify areas for improvement in the customer experience, both in product and processes
- Be a mentor and resource to new hires and members of various teams
- 2-4 years of experience as a Credit Analyst and/or as an underwriter
- An aptitude to understand Boulevard's technology and payment processing platform
- Demonstrated ability for and interest in analyzing data sets
- Self-starter who thrives in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment with the demonstrated capacity to lead, motivate and work well with others
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a high growth, fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- BS/BA in Finance, Economics, Mathematics or related fields
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
Boulevard was founded with the fundamental belief that personal care should be convenient for all. Our mission is to maximize potential for salons and spas, as well as the clients they serve.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, our scheduling, point of sale, and conversation platform was carefully designed to drive revenue, automate workflows, and convert customers from visitors into valuable, long-term clients. By facilitating a better, personalized experience across every transaction and interaction, Boulevard’s technology not only helps salons and spas to survive, but thrive.
As a venture-backed startup based in Los Angeles, we are innovating at the intersection of luxury and lifestyle. We are thoughtfully unapologetic about challenging the status quo in pursuit to help people become the best version of themselves. We use technology, design, and style to unleash the untapped potential in all of us, drive real results, and we're just getting started!
Come do the best work of your life here at Boulevard.