Director of Engineering
Research and Development – Engineering Leadership
Boulevard is transforming business management for premium beauty service brands through their proprietary platform-as-a-service.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, Boulevard is the only management tool built specifically for appointment-based businesses that delivers ease of use with style and sophistication.
Founded in 2016 and based in Los Angeles, Boulevard is carefully designed to automate workflows and drive revenue while allowing brands to offer a personalized experience that keeps clients coming back.
Our engineering team has one simple but lofty goal: deliver a delightful experience to our service providers and their customers. You'll have the opportunity to build extraordinary applications that are reliable, fast, responsive, and beautiful.
As a Director of Engineering at Boulevard, you'll be responsible for leading and mentoring a team of engineers. From 1 on 1’s, to code reviews, to making key decisions on how we architect our platform you will be responsible for the execution of our vision. You’ll sit at the intersection of Design, Product, and Engineering as we build a beautiful and intuitive interface to power local commerce. You’ll use your expert knowledge of modern web and mobile application development to produce unrivaled user experiences.
We are building extremely complicated single page applications which is the operating system for many small and medium-sized businesses. We pride ourselves with the patience to build the best solution and not the easiest. Our code is maintainable, expressive and elegant. We often ship several changes to our applications daily and test multiple versions simultaneously.
- Work closely with the Design and Product teams to translate complex technical workflows into delightful user experiences
- Be both a highly technical, hands-on coder as well as an effective people coach.
- Continually test, measure, and iterate on the results of your work in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Work with your team to set clear goals, and deliver against them
- Recruit, inspire, and develop a highly cohesive and motivated team
- Write clean, reusable, and well-tested code
- Help to bridge the responsibilities of the Design and Engineering teams, spending time with both on the way to launching new products
- Invest in our future and help build the Boulevard engineering brand through blogs, conferences, open source projects, etc.
- Minimum 5+ years of hands-on coding experience paired with a proven ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience managing a cross-functional engineering team.
- An understanding of how to properly architect modern web applications that are both B2B and B2C facing.
- Expertise and opinions on proper career growth planning, team building activities, and best code review practices
- Smarts, humility, communication skills, and equal willingness to teach and learn
Bonus Points For
- Experience working in high growth venture-backed startups
- Experience with Stripe or processing credit cards
- You understand the intricacies of timezones
- Blog, teach, mentor, or help others learn outside of your day to day work
- You maintain or contribute to an open-source project
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
Boulevard was founded with the fundamental belief that personal care should be convenient for all. Our mission is to maximize potential for salons and spas, as well as the clients they serve.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, our scheduling, point of sale, and conversation platform was carefully designed to drive revenue, automate workflows, and convert customers from visitors into valuable, long-term clients. By facilitating a better, personalized experience across every transaction and interaction, Boulevard’s technology not only helps salons and spas to survive, but thrive.
As a venture-backed startup based in Los Angeles, we are innovating at the intersection of luxury and lifestyle. We are thoughtfully unapologetic about challenging the status quo in pursuit to help people become the best version of themselves. We use technology, design, and style to unleash the untapped potential in all of us, drive real results, and we're just getting started!
Come do the best work of your life here at Boulevard.