Senior Software Engineer, Elixir
New York /
Research and Development – Engineering /
Boulevard is transforming business management for premium beauty service brands through their proprietary platform-as-a-service.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, Boulevard is the only management tool built specifically for appointment-based businesses that delivers ease of use with style and sophistication.
Founded in 2016 and based in Los Angeles, Boulevard is carefully designed to automate workflows and drive revenue while allowing brands to offer a personalized experience that keeps clients coming back.
Our platform consists primarily of a thoughtfully crafted Elixir/OTP application, encapsulating all our business logic and enabling innovation and iteration around our products. We are looking for highly proficient software engineers who are passionate about creating elegant solutions to complicated problems.
As a Platform Software Engineer at Boulevard, you will be responsible for designing and building the core services that power Boulevard. Boulevard is on a journey to become a first-class platform. From an advanced Webhook system for third party developers, to a public API serving powerful integrations, you’ll play a direct role in helping to design the architecture and implement the solutions to help us achieve that goal. You'll have a direct impact on the product roadmap, regularly collaborating with the Design and Product teams to architect the best solutions, not the easiest. We pride ourselves on using the best technology for the job, maintaining high code quality while iterating with extreme speed, and sharing learnings along the way (both internally and externally).
- Own projects from design, through development, to production.
- Quickly distill fast-moving product requirements into tangible engineering tasks and designs.
- Write clean, readable, performant, secure, and documented code.
- Perform QA on your own work, write automated tests, and optimize your code.
- Do code reviews to maintain high code quality, while also iterating quickly.
- Work in highly performant and collaborative teams.
- At least 5+ years of on the job experience as an engineer.
- Experience in functional programming languages (Elixir) or object oriented languages.
- Experience in building large-scale web applications in a fast-moving team environment.
- Strong experience with relational databases and SQL (we use PostgreSQL).
- Strong experience building reliable and scalable APIs from the ground up that serve web/mobile applications, alerting & health systems, or third party integrations. This includes designing API abstractions and implementing core API concepts such as authentication.
- A generalist background and the ability to “go deep” anywhere in the stack
- Pride for the work you do and care deeply about the products which consume your services
- Strong appreciation for good design.
- Smarts, humility, communication skills, and equal willingness to teach and learn.
- Desire to shape our engineering culture by coming up with ideas, tools, and infrastructure wherever you see a problem to be solved.
- Demonstrated work beyond the back-end, experienced in creating front-end interfaces or architecting server infrastructure.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Built, documented, and monitored a Public API platform.
- You maintain or contribute to an open source project.
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
Boulevard was founded with the fundamental belief that personal care should be convenient for all. Our mission is to maximize potential for salons and spas, as well as the clients they serve.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, our scheduling, point of sale, and conversation platform was carefully designed to drive revenue, automate workflows, and convert customers from visitors into valuable, long-term clients. By facilitating a better, personalized experience across every transaction and interaction, Boulevard’s technology not only helps salons and spas to survive, but thrive.
As a venture-backed startup based in Los Angeles, we are innovating at the intersection of luxury and lifestyle. We are thoughtfully unapologetic about challenging the status quo in pursuit to help people become the best version of themselves. We use technology, design, and style to unleash the untapped potential in all of us, drive real results, and we're just getting started!
Come do the best work of your life here at Boulevard.