Principal Data Engineer
Research and Development – Engineering
Boulevard is transforming business management for premium beauty service brands through their proprietary platform-as-a-service.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, Boulevard is the only management tool built specifically for appointment-based businesses that delivers ease of use with style and sophistication.
Founded in 2016 and based in Los Angeles, Boulevard is carefully designed to automate workflows and drive revenue while allowing brands to offer a personalized experience that keeps clients coming back.
The Data Engineer will address complex questions and will be responsible for crafting a comprehensive data strategy across our customer-facing platform and internal tooling. We’re looking for someone with a strong command of SQL and data modeling, with the business acumen to match. The ideal candidate will demonstrate success in using data to understand, grow, and optimize our software. As a Data Engineer, you will directly interact with Product Managers, Designers, and Software Engineers to understand reporting needs and work to deliver reporting, dashboards, and analysis.
- Assist with database design across a variety of services
- Create and maintain scalable data pipeline in the AWS cloud
- Develop and maintain ETL operations from our OTLP services to data warehouses
- Build complex workflows and orchestrate data dependencies.
- Closely work with product owners & analysts to understand business and functional requirements and contribute to the design and prioritization discussions.
- Work with business partners to gather, analyze, and translate requirements in BI reporting area - either recommending an existing solution, developing a solution, or synthesizing delivery requirements to engineering teams for development.
- Research and evaluate new technologies in the big data space to guide our continuous improvement
- 5+ years experience as a data engineer
- Excellent Postgres SQL skills
- Strong familiarity with various data modeling paradigms, such as event-sourcing.
- Proficient in multiple programming languages, such as R, Julia, Java, Python, or Scala
- Experience developing reports and dashboards utilizing visualization tools
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills across both technical and nontechnical teams
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Experience with predictive and prescriptive analytics, modeling, and segmentation.
- Experience with data analytics, big data, and analytics architectures.
- Comfortable handling large amounts of data
- Experience ensuring data and modeling accuracy, cleanliness, reliability.
- Independence without the need for supervision.
- Experience translating business requirements into functional, and non-functional requirements.
Bonus Points For
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
- Experience with machine learning packages and various ML algorithms.
- Experience using big data technologies (Hadoop, Spark, HBase, Kinesis, MapReduce, etc.)
- A quantitatively focused education (minimum BS in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, etc.)
- Prior experience at a tech start-up
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
Boulevard was founded with the fundamental belief that personal care should be convenient for all. Our mission is to maximize potential for salons and spas, as well as the clients they serve.
Developed in collaboration with industry-leading owners and operators, our scheduling, point of sale, and conversation platform was carefully designed to drive revenue, automate workflows, and convert customers from visitors into valuable, long-term clients. By facilitating a better, personalized experience across every transaction and interaction, Boulevard’s technology not only helps salons and spas to survive, but thrive.
As a venture-backed startup based in Los Angeles, we are innovating at the intersection of luxury and lifestyle. We are thoughtfully unapologetic about challenging the status quo in pursuit to help people become the best version of themselves. We use technology, design, and style to unleash the untapped potential in all of us, drive real results, and we're just getting started!
Come do the best work of your life here at Boulevard.