Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Alameda, CA /
Vehicle Engineering /
Boundary Layer Technologies is building the future of zero emission maritime transport, starting with hydrofoiling electric passenger vessels. We are backed by Y Combinator, Fifty Years VC and Lower Carbon Capital and have built a world leading 26' fully electric hydrofoil prototype. We are a company of builders where rapid iterations and fast learning is in our DNA. We aim to reduce global GHG emissions by as much as 2.5%
As an embedded software engineer you will be designing, implementing and testing embedded software on hydrofoil vehicles and developing software to support the testing and validation of our subsystems, sensors, and communications systems.
- Design and implement the embedded software for electric hydrofoil flight computers (with C++/C, Python in Linux and bare-metal runtime environments)
- Lead software integration with overall vehicle management, propulsion systems, battery management systems, and pilot control systems.
- Provide software engineering talent to assist team members in prototyping, monitoring and testing other subsystems.
- Developing new and/or integrating existing device drivers for sensors and actuators.
- Support and improve our existing embedded software workflow to improve simulations, hardware-in-the-loop testing, flight testing and post-test analysis for all aspects of the vehicle.
- Improve and maintain automatic code generation from Matlab and Simulink
- Provide project management support to the rest of the team
Required skills and experience:
- Degree in computer science, software engineering, math, physics, or similar with demonstrated skills in embedded systems.
- 5 years experience in embedded software roles
- Willingness to learn C++, Python, Matlab and Simulink autocoders.
- Knowledge of microcontroller workflows and toolchains
Benefits of this role:
- Work towards building a better, zero carbon world
- Enjoy super rapid development, testing, and deployment (it's really hard to crash a boat!)
- Work in an incredibly lightly regulated sector (no FAA rules for boats!)
- Bring cutting edge innovation into an often overlooked yet massive and critical industry
- Market competitive salary and equity package
- Healthcare, dental, and optical insurance
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Dog friendly office
- Work closely with CEO and CTO
- Choose your own hardware budget
- 4 weeks PTO
- Access to company boats for employee recreational use
Please still consider applying even if you don't match every listed expectation, as we are big believers in learning and growth. Here at Boundary Layer Technologies, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.