Alameda, CA /
Vehicle Engineering /
Boundary Layer Technologies is building the future of zero emission maritime transport, starting with hydrofoiling electric passenger vessels. We are backed by Y Combinator, Fifty Years VC and Lower Carbon Capital and have built a world leading 26' fully electric hydrofoil prototype. We are a company of builders where rapid iterations and fast learning is in our DNA. We aim to reduce global GHG emissions by as much as 2.5%
We are looking for a Naval Architect to join our team and lead structural design of vessels, ELECTRA and ARGO.
- Develop tools to analyze ship structure design based on DNV guidelines
- Design of structural components for vessels, including plate/stringer/stiffener sizing, component mounting, mass optimization
- Model structural components in Siemens NX, including fasteners and weldments
- Analysis of ship structure, including setting up and running FEA models
- Manage integration of components into hull and track changes
- Develop and oversee detailed weight models for the ship
- Oversight of manufacturing design and construction
- Design/analysis of other Naval Architecture systems, such as hull design, stability analysis, wave performance, etc.
Skills and experience
- BS or MS in Naval Architecture or other relevant engineering discipline
- 3+ years experience in structural design, especially with aluminum and/or composites (including student project teams)
- Ship structure design experience (preferably high-speed and/or hydrofoil)
- Experience using DNV or other regulatory body rulesets
- Experience using AutoCAD for 2D engineering drawing
- Experience using CAD software for engineering design (Siemens NX)
- Comfortable using Excel/Google Sheets
Benefits of this role
- Work towards building a better, zero carbon world
- Market competitive salary and equity package
- Healthcare, dental, and optical insurance
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Dog friendly office
- Work closely with CEO and CTO
- 4 weeks PTO
- Access to company boats for employee recreational use
Please still consider applying even if you don't match every listed expectation, as we are big believers in learning and growth. Here at Boundary Layer Technologies, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.