Kearny, NJ /
Agricultural Science – Agricultural Science /
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed scientist to join the AgScience Team. The scientist will be responsible for developing and maintaining a comprehensive breeding program and strategy to breed new vegetable varieties for the Bowery business. They will also be responsible for evaluating and screening germplasm options. Working closely with scientists and marketing, the scientist will provide data-supported recommendations to the Bowery business for low-cost, reliable, sustainable, and safe production of produce.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the use of cost-effective new technology to help develop superior and improved genetics to help keep Bowery out in the forefront with the varieties consumers demand.
- Manage and fully utilize the grow space at our R&D Farm to maximize improved new potential varieties that come out of the breeding program.
- Maintain all aspects of existing and future seed stock. From pure line selections to bulking up, maintaining, and harvesting inventory of pure seed stock.
- Develop and maintain roadmaps for breeding to meet yield and quality targets.
- Responsible for finding additional breeding material to help make the breeding program a success.
- Investigate and make recommendations regarding new technologies in molecular breeding.
- Analyze and scientifically assess plant breeding in laboratory and field trials and select the best varieties.
- Maintain detailed records throughout the breeding and variety development cycle.
- Keep up to date in the fast-moving area of science and translate ideas from scientific literature into new approaches to breeding problems.
What You'll Have:
- Strong background in plant breeding, quantitative genetics, experimental design, statistical analysis or data science
- Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- Track record of impact from scientific research
- Curiosity and innovative use of technologies in plant science
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.