Staff Software Engineer
New York, NY /
Technology – Software Engineering /
Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
About the Role:
This is an opportunity to join a growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone who can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. Software Engineering at Bowery involves developing software systems that power a modern farm. This includes building out work management systems, data collection, visualization, control systems, and farm automation.
You’ll be part of idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of new software components of all aspects of our farms. The software stack at Bowery consists of a few, focused Elixir services running in AWS, Phoenix +Vue.js / React on the front-end, and Elixir (Nerves) running on thousands of in-house built devices on-premise in our farms. We're utilizing an event-driven architecture, RPC, and Channels/WebSockets to pass data throughout our services and real-time UI's.
What You’ll Do:
- Create innovative automation solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Build responsive, mobile-first web applications to support the demands of farm operations and agricultural science teams.
- Develop systems to collect, process, and visualize data related to plant health and growing environment characteristics.
- Optimize crop cycles and workflow schedules to improve yields and make the best use of time in the farm.
- Scale systems to handle more farms, more sensors, more crops, and more operators.
- Proactively identify opportunities to enhance developer productivity.
Who You Are:
- You have experience developing and scaling production web applications using Phoenix, Rails, Node, or similar backend MVC frameworks.
- You proactively mitigate issues through test-driven development, continuous deployment, and thoughtful monitoring and alerting.
- You’ve used implementations of protocols like MQTT, XMPP, and AMQP to handle messaging between services in a distributed system.
- You’re excited about how advancements in machine learning and IoT can work in harmony to improve the state of the planet.
- You are able to establish scope of assigned tasks, execute on them, and independently communicate status updates.
- You participate in code reviews and give constructive feedback to peers
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and safety of your teammates.
- You’re confident in taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit www.BoweryFarming.comPress kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.