Associate Plant Breeder
Kearny, NJ /
Agricultural Science – Agricultural Science /
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out our podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke) - https://spoti.fi/3ToY3Mm
About the Role:
We are looking for an Associate Breeder who will contribute to our variety development pipeline by leading the translation of breeding plans into action. This position will support other members of the breeding teams and be responsible for executing on the plans created by crop-specific breeding leads, but will also frequently make independent decisions in order to efficiently accomplish objectives. The Associate Breeder will work in a highly cross-functional environment, in particular as the interface between AgScience and Farm Operations for all breeding operations planning, execution, and compliance. The ideal candidate for this role will have excellent organization, communication skills, and attention to detail. This position will be based at our R&D center in Kearny, New Jersey, and will report directly to the Senior Breeder.
What You'll Do:
- Develop the work plans (nursery layout, tasks, timing and required capacity) to ensure that objectives of the breeding program are achieved
- Prepare for trials by organizing entries and seed according to experimental design
- Communicate effectively with Operations and other teams so that experimental plans are executed accurately and on time
- Contribute to the identification, selection, and advancement of experimental germplasm relevant for the breeding program
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement in our experimental workflows and execute improvement plans so as to maximize efficiency, safety, and data quality
- Write standard operating procedures for routine tasks and train members of the Operations team (R&D specialists and modern farmers) in their execution
- Contribute to new methods for phenotypic data collection on traits related to shelf life, quality, sensory, and plant habit
Who You Are:
- You are highly organized, have excellent attention to detail, and set high standards for the quality of work you complete
- You are an effective written and verbal communicator with an ability to grasp complex instructions that you can then teach to others
- You work effectively in a dynamic environment and can prioritize among multiple competing tasks in order to meet experimental deadlines
- You have experience working in agriculture, ideally in a research environment, and understand fundamentals of plant growth and function
- You possess scientific curiosity and enjoy testing hypotheses and making discoveries
- You are proficient at using spreadsheet and office software and are willing and able to learn how to use new types of software and digital tools
- You lead by example and have strong interpersonal skills that allow you to engage with and influence others
Benefits As Good As our Greens:
- To support you and your family, we offer health, dental, and vision insurance; mental health resources; family forming support; long-term and short-term disability insurance; FSA; HSA; commuter benefits and gym reimbursement
- 401k retirement plan and company stock options, so you can reap the benefits of every Bowery win
- The more balance, the better. We offer unlimited paid vacation, paid holiday - plus 16 weeks paid parental leave so you can focus on what matters most
- From internal mobility to a mentorship program and curated L&D initiatives, we are fully invested in your growth
We think the starting salary for this role is $65,000, but it might vary depending on skills and experiences. If this role is of interest to you, you should apply no matter what. You can trust us to make an assessment based on your unique experience and communicate that with you.
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3hwUyq1) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.
Bowery is an equal opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.