Agricultural Systems Manager
Bethlehem, PA /
Operations – Agricultural Operations /
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out our podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke) - https://spoti.fi/3ToY3Mm
About the Role:
Bowery is seeking an experienced Agricultural Systems Manager to focus on daily critical system operations that promote crop yield and quality in our farms. You will be responsible for each farm's agricultural system and environmental health, a crucial partner in analyzing datasets, advancing systems capabilities and presenting results and proposals to help guide key business decisions around yield and quality performance. You’ll be supported by a suite of systems and tools, a team of system specialists, and Bowery’s proprietary farm management software, BoweryOS, which delivers unprecedented support towards monitoring crop development and maintaining efficient operations. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, growers, business operators, and farm operations. Your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry. In partnership with a Grower, you will own yield and quality at your farm(s), perform the analyses, audits, and investigatory work to understand any gaps in performance, and proposals, roadmaps, and tools to achieve the target KPIs.
This multi-farm role focused on an expanding number of farms will require 30% travel to existing farms.
What You'll Do:
- You’ll work with your Grower partner and a team of Agricultural Technicians to plan and execute operational management tasks to ensure farm health across critical systems and metrics, including water health and environmental performance
- Diagnose system and environmental performance, partner with cross-functional site-level managers to prioritize and solve key challenges, and provide feedback to the Agricultural Operations, Agricultural Science, Farm Design, Tech, and Asset Care & Reliability teams as appropriate
- You'll support our food safety program by optimizing system performance to manage environments and spaces effectively
- You'll influence daily activity and recommend new techniques and processes to make our farm operators more efficient and effective
- You’ll recommend new monitoring and control systems that give Bowery increasing levels of control on essential variables for plant growth
Who You Are:
- You have experience in controlled environment agricultural (CEA) conditions such as hydroponics, aeroponics, or aquaponics
- You have experience with the major technical systems of an indoor farm (irrigation, lighting, HVAC, nutrients, food safety, etc.) and familiarity with the sensors and analyses used to diagnose their performance
- You have an area of expertise within some aspects of CEA, such as air health, biostatistics, advanced sensing, and control, etc.
- You are “tech fluent” and excited about the prospect of helping to build new technology to change the nature of farming
- You have demonstrated experience in basic water chemistry and nutrient management
- You are experienced in collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting complex data
- You can intuitively determine system issues and root causes of complex problems in a growing environment and recommend and efficiently implement changes to remedy common issues
- You are an excellent oral and written communicator who quickly shifts between technical discussions and cross-functional terms
- You believe that teams succeed and fail together and take responsibility for ensuring the success and satisfaction of your teammates
- You believe a better future is possible, set big, bold goals, get focused quickly, and take your work seriously
Benefits As Good As Our Greens:
- To support you and your family, we offer health, dental, and vision insurance; mental health resources; family forming support; long-term and short-term disability insurance; FSA; HSA; commuter benefits and gym reimbursement
- 401k retirement plan and company stock options so that you can reap the benefits of every Bowery win
- The more balance, the better. We offer unlimited paid vacation, paid holiday - plus 16 weeks of paid parental leave so you can focus on what matters most
- From internal mobility to a mentorship program and curated L&D initiatives, we are fully invested in your growth
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3CUwuUY) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.
The salary for this role will be either $80,000 or $100,000, depending on the level you’re assessed at. If this role is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply no matter what so we can see your profile and background. You can trust us to make an assessment based on your unique skills and experience and communicate where you are leveled.
Bowery is an equal-opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally-grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.