Head of Quality & Food Safety
New York, NY /
Farm Operations – Farm Operations /
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
Bowery Farming is seeking a Head of Quality & Food Safety who will drive and audit compliance in production operations in our indoor farms. You will be responsible for leading, developing, and documenting a Food Quality & Food Safety strategy in our technologically advanced & industry leading farming operations. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with operations, engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, retail and other functions, and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry.
What You’ll Do:
- Promote a culture of world class quality control and food safety performance with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Develop and drive strategies to ensure conformance to environmental and finished product microbiological requirements.
- Audit the reporting of data and maintenance of quality and food safety records.
- Ensure products are commercialized in accordance with Food Safety standards.
- Develop and drive strategies to ensure conformance to GMPs, Sanitation and Pest Control requirements.
- Conduct assessments of raw material and finished product for food quality, safety and microbial issues.
- Write protocols, cleaning validation studies, and reports to thoroughly document all activities.
- Audit compliance with company quality, sanitation, and Food Safety standards.
- Collect & analyze data in order to proactively identify food quality & safety issues, and develop plans to resolve existing issues.
- Provide training and coaching on Quality Control and Food Safety to the Bowery Operations team.
- Influence and drive improvements to the Bowery Farming production system.
Who You Are:
- You are knowledgable of manufacturing processes, GMPs, Food Safety, and Quality
- You have a strong understanding of FSMA Requirements and Applications
- You understand all of sanitation concepts
- You understand the process control and general food manufacturing principles
- You have general knowledge of pest control procedures and requirements
- You may posses a HACCP, SQF or BRC, and PCQI certificate, but not required
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.