Baltimore, MD /
Farm Operations – Facilities & Launch /
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
About The Role:
This is an opportunity to join a quickly growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty. The Facility Engineer is responsible for daily operations of property portfolio, including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, other mechanical systems, fire and safety systems, as they pertain to the facility but, in major portion to the farm operations and support thereof. In other organizations this position may be called “Site Engineer” or “Chief Engineer”. This position ensures all farm supporting systems are operational and safe, and will work with the Facility Manager to develop and manage yearly repairs and maintenance budgets. This role will also help mentor facility maintenance staff and manage vendors to coordinate preventative maintenance, Farm improvements, and special projects. This is a Wednesday through Saturday standard days.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with the Facility Manager in coordinating all the preventative & reactive maintenance activities
- Serve as technical expert on standard and proprietary mechanical & electrical systems
- Create procedures and job aides for all equipment & systems
- Provide an exceptional level of customer service to the internal Farm Operations teams
- Available and eager to help train and mentor less experienced Facility Maintenance Technicians, as well as participate in interviews as needed
- Oversee vendors and other contractors involved in building maintenance, farm maintenance, security and construction projects
- Track Farm improvement projects in line with building rules and regulations and city/state codes
- Responsible for activities related to all equipment in building/s and operational efficiency of the building’s energy systems
- Monitor completion of daily work orders and projects
- Order parts as needed for department
- Evaluate building systems and make recommendations for repairs and replacements when necessary
- Monitor and manage tool inventory used by maintenance staff
- Work with the Safety Department to make recommendations and manage safety and accident prevention program
- Represent the Facility Maintenance Team in a professional manner in all dealings with owners, architects, vendors, other design professionals, and contractors
- Seek and engage in continued training in order to build technical strengths in Farm and Facility Maintenance using industry best practices
- Perform additional tasks as needed
What You'll Have:
- Proven project management, planning, and organizational skills
- Experience effectively managing multiple technical projects with critical deadlines
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including knowledge of Google products
- Proven ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with contractors, sub-contractors, clients, and technicians
- Experience leading and directing MEP projects.
- Ability to analyze problems and formulate plans to get work done quickly including procurement of materials, parts, etc., and necessary scheduling arrangements with a high degree of quality.
- History of training and instructing technicians by passing along knowledge and skills
- Experience with troubleshooting PLC and HMI systems
- Nice to Have: Food processing, consumer goods manufacturing and/or pharmaceutical facility experience
Who You Are:
- Strong ability to identify, troubleshoot and solve ambiguous problems in complex MEP and process environment
- Technically inclined self starter who can work effectively without constant supervision
- Accountable to co-workers and self
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Customer and results focused
- Agility in days and hours to be worked: Standard Schedule is Wednesday - Saturday days
- A good fit with Bowery values
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.