Baltimore, MD /
Farm Operations – Farm Build & Launch /
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
This is an opportunity to join a quickly growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty. The Facility Engineer is responsible for daily operations of property portfolio, including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, other mechanical systems, fire and safety systems, as they pertain to the facility but, in major portion to the farm operations and support thereof. In other organizations this position may be called “Site Engineer” or “Chief Engineer”. This position ensures all farm supporting systems are operational and safe, and will work with the Facility Manager to develop and manage yearly repairs and maintenance budgets. This role will also help mentor facility maintenance staff and manage vendors to coordinate preventative maintenance, Farm improvements, and special projects. This is a Wednesday through Saturday standard days.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with the Facility Manager in coordinating all the preventative & reactive maintenance activities
- Serve as technical expert on standard and proprietary mechanical & electrical systems
- Create procedures and job aides for all equipment & systems
- Provide an exceptional level of customer service to the internal Farm Operations teams
- Available and eager to help train and mentor less experienced Facility Maintenance Technicians, as well as participate in interviews as needed
- Oversee vendors and other contractors involved in building maintenance, farm maintenance, security and construction projects
- Track Farm improvement projects in line with building rules and regulations and city/state codes
- Responsible for activities related to all equipment in building/s and operational efficiency of the building’s energy systems
- Monitor completion of daily work orders and projects
- Order parts as needed for department
- Evaluate building systems and make recommendations for repairs and replacements when necessary
- Monitor and manage tool inventory used by maintenance staff
- Work with the Safety Department to make recommendations and manage safety and accident prevention program
- Represent the Facility Maintenance Team in a professional manner in all dealings with owners, architects, vendors, other design professionals, and contractors
- Seek and engage in continued training in order to build technical strengths in Farm and Facility Maintenance using industry best practices
- Perform additional tasks as needed
What You'll Have:
- Proven project management, planning, and organizational skills
- Experience effectively managing multiple technical projects with critical deadlines
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, including knowledge of Google products
- Proven ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with contractors, sub-contractors, clients, and technicians
- Experience leading and directing MEP projects.
- Ability to analyze problems and formulate plans to get work done quickly including procurement of materials, parts, etc., and necessary scheduling arrangements with a high degree of quality.
- History of training and instructing technicians by passing along knowledge and skills
- Experience with troubleshooting PLC and HMI systems
- Nice to Have: Food processing, consumer goods manufacturing and/or pharmaceutical facility experience
Who You Are:
- Strong ability to identify, troubleshoot and solve ambiguous problems in complex MEP and process environment
- Technically inclined self starter who can work effectively without constant supervision
- Accountable to co-workers and self
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Customer and results focused
- Agility in days and hours to be worked: Standard Schedule is Wednesday - Saturday days
- A good fit with Bowery values
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.