New York, NY /
Finance – Accounting /
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
About The Role:
The Payroll Manager will oversee all payroll operations for Bowery Farming, including full-time employees, part-time workers, and contractors located in multiple states. He/she will review payroll data and documents for inefficiencies and errors, and ensure payments are made on time. The Payroll Manager will possess a strong understanding of payroll systems and module flow, and work to improve processes, policies, and procedures. This person will own the payroll process from start to finish and will be responsible for resolving issues as they arise and informing management as necessary.
What You'll Do:
- Independently process payroll for all employees in an accurate and timely manner and act as the lead point of contact for all payroll related inquiries and disputes
- Lead implementation of our new payroll system (Ceridian) to ensure consistent adoption, usage, controls, and maintenance across the organization
- Research and interpret applicable state, federal and organizational laws, guidelines, practices, policies, and procedures to ensure full compliance in all payroll-related matters
- Review and analyze current payroll and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations
- Partner with HR to ensure timely and accurate deductions of medical, dental, 401K, transit and other benefits; process all garnishments
- Prepare reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, nontaxable wages, etc.
- Prepare monthly payroll and related liabilities, payroll general ledger postings, reconciliations, and journal entries including compensation accrualsReview general ledger with regard to payroll transactions
- Assist with ad-hoc financial analyses and projects
Who You Are:
- Relevant years of experience as a Payroll Manager or a similar role at a fast-growing company with complex and diverse payroll needs (particularly experience working with both exempt and nonexempt employees in multiple states)
- You possess a general knowledge of state and federal payroll and tax regulations and have experience registering for new tax jurisdictions
- You have extensive experience with payroll and time and attendance systems
- You possess strong problem solving, data analysis, and evaluation skills and work with a sense of urgency and ability to meet tight deadlines
- You are a very good communicator
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.