Regional Safety Manager
New York, NY /
Farm Operations – Farm Operations /
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
About The Role:
This is an opportunity to join a quickly growing team and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty.
At Bowery, safety is our top priority and to that end, the Regional Safety Manager will report directly to the VP and Head of Operations. We believe that safety is the responsibility of every Bowery employee and that will occur through the cultivation of a safety culture focused on employee behaviors. We aspire to build that culture through individual knowledge and employees empowered to act. The Regional Safety Manager will build Bowery’s institutional knowledge by arriving as a subject matter expert on a breadth of areas including OSHA compliance and record keeping, workers compensation, local regulatory requirements and industry best practices. More unique to the role is guiding a group of engineers and scientists that are building the techiest farms in the world where safe work environments will evolve through the oversight of a candidate with experience in both ergonomics and automation.
What You'll Do:
- Build the metrics necessary to quantify safety performance. These metrics should include the necessary output metrics such as recordable and lost workday case rates but should appropriately include proactive input metrics in order to ‘manage the bottom of the pyramid’
- Support the organization in establishing a high level of safety expertise both in best practices and procedures. This will be attained through multiple formats which may include formal training, daily safety tips and educational audits
- Develop incident reporting, escalation procedures and problem solving including root cause analysis and corrective actions. Trend analyses will drive where the organization spends its time with the goal of attacking the bottom of the safety pyramid before issues escalate
- Lead our contractors and suppliers in on-site safety programs that keep everyone safe, regardless of employer, during the construction of our farms
- Advise our development team on the design and purchase of farming equipment and automation with key insights on keeping farmers both healthy and productive
- Design a concise but comprehensive set of corporate safety policies that respect the diversity of our farmers, processes and localities in which our farms operate
What You'll Have:
- Experience in environmental, ergonomics or a related field required
- An experienced and certified safety professional with a background in leading large scale operations that include both equipment and process heavy operations
- Track record of influencing all areas of large scale operations including process design, equipment build and facility construction
- Complete and well practiced tool kit in building, growing and sustaining a strong culture of safety where every employee feels accountable and educated to act
- Experience and/or readiness for multi-site management
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.