Kearny, NJ /
Agricultural Science – Agricultural Science /
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed scientist to join the AgScience Team. The scientist will be responsible for research and development that drives the commercialization of new products. Bringing expertise in plant physiology, horticulture, and controlled environment agriculture, the scientist will develop novel growing recipes and methods that enable production of new cultivars in the Bowery growing system. Working closely with Scientists and Farm Manager, the Scientist will drive new scientific insights through rapid and iterative experimentation to create new value and market opportunities for Bowery.
What You'll Do:
- Design and execution of experiments in controlled environments, pilot and production scale vertical farms with leafy and fruiting crops
- Data analysis and reporting of experimental results
- Communication of scientific insights to peers and leadership
- Integration of computer vision, sensing data and other experimental observations for new agronomic, biological and physiological insights
What You'll Have:
- Experience in Plant physiology, horticultural, or plant science knowledge and experiment
- Experience in Phenotyping or breeding
- Understanding of plant production systems in greenhouses and growth chambers
- Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- Track record of impact from scientific research
- Curiosity and innovative use of technologies in plant science
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.