Regional Controls Engineer
Baltimore, MD /
Farm Operations – Robotics & Automation /
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is seeking a Control Engineer to join our Robotics & Automation (R&A) team to support our operations in Baltimore, MD. The Control Engineer will work closely with the R&A team in troubleshooting equipment faults and development of our future production equipment. The Control Engineer will report to the Head of Robotics and Automation and share support activities that keep our operations running smoothly, while preparing for the launch of our future farms.. The Control Engineer will coordinate equipment service with our Maintenance Team and will help in the creation of standards and processes. This job includes locations of NY, NJ, PA, and MD.
What You'll Do
- Focus on the development of standards, operating procedures (SOPs), preventative maintenance descriptions (PMs), and the execution of research and development (R&D) projects.
- Get the automation system ready for production and monitor its performance during the production day.
- Lead root-cause-analysis on automation faults.
- Travel to existing and future farms to assist with operations and construction/start-up activities.
- Generate Scope of Work and assist in the management of contracted electricians during the launch of new farms..
What You'll Have
- Relevant years experience in Engineering (Controls, Automation, Electrical, or Maintenance)
- Experience leading remote construction teams.
- Experience managing fast track design/build projects or multiple significant upgrade projects
- Experience leading Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) of automation equipment
- Experience developing design documentation (functional specifications, operations manuals, mechanical and electrical schematics)
Who You Are:
- Proven ability to read/write and troubleshoot PLC code (Omron, Allen Bradley, or Siemens).
- You’ve worked with automation systems and are comfortable with concepts surrounding both the software, networking, and the mechanical components.
- You’re a team player and work well with others in the face of challenges and a common mission
- Ability to multitask and prioritize diverse tasks, to hit hard deadlines, and to know when to escalate issues that arise.
- You thrive in ambiguity and play nice in the sandbox.
- Safety is your overriding priority and you think safety first in every situation.
- You possess strong interpersonal skills – seen as a natural team builder
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40%
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.