Agricultural Science R&D Operations Lead
Kearny, NJ /
Agricultural Science – Agricultural Science /
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
About the Role:
Bowery is looking for a passionate and committed individual to join the AgScience team as the R&D Operations Lead. In this role, the R&D Ops Lead will drive excellence in R&D operations ensuring timely delivery of high quality research data. In partnership with AgScientists, the R&D Ops Lead will develop comprehensive work plans to ensure that R&D priorities and goals are met. In addition, the R&D Ops Lead will drive systems and process improvements that improve and expand the scope of capabilities in R&D.
What You'll Do:
- Management of the growing operations of the Bowery R&D team including scheduling, monitoring and maintenance of experiments at the R&D facilities
- Developing, monitoring and reporting of KPIs that provide insights into R&D performance, resource use and data quality
- Leading and developing the team to streamline production processes, increase pipeline capacity, improve plant quality and experimental compliance.
- Ensuring that R&D farm health is maintained across critical systems including irrigation, LEDs, HVAC and fertigation systems.
- Developing and maintaining project management processes to ensure that AgScience objectives and key results are on track
- Championing workplace safety and leading development and improvement of plant growth facility safety protocols
What You'll Have:
- Knowledge of plant physiology, horticultural, or plant sciences with experience in a high tech greenhouse, vertical farm or other controlled environment
- Experience growing leafy greens, herbs and fruiting crops in a controlled environment
- Ability to lead and develop a team of hourly employees as Farm Supervisors and Operators.
- Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- Curiosity and innovative use of technologies in greenhouse or controlled environment
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.