Embedded Systems Engineer
New York, NY /
Technology – Hardware Engineering /
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
This is an opportunity to join a growing team of electrical, mechanical and software engineers and make a substantial impact at Bowery. We’re looking for someone that can learn, adapt and roll with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and who isn’t afraid of uncertainty. Hardware engineering at Bowery involves developing electronics solutions that power a modern farm and provide tools for agricultural R&D. This involves unique industrial control systems, environmental sensor technology, data collection, computer vision systems, and farm automation. You’ll be involved with idea generation, design, prototyping, planning, and the execution of firmware and hardware for our Bowery IoT fleet. Our current hardware technologies are facilitated by the industrial version of the Raspberry Pi, Altium Designer (ECAD), SolidWorks (MCAD), the Nerves IoT platform, and AWS integration. We currently have thousands of 1st party Bowery designed devices deployed on-premise in our farms running on our in-house BoweryOS system.
What You’ll Do
- Create innovative IoT solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside electrical engineers, data scientists, software engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- Develop firmware for our 1st party embedded electronics solutions that facilitate plant growth, monitor plant health, and allow the BoweryOS to know more about critical growing environmental characteristics throughout our facilities.
- Assist in supporting manufacturing runs of our BoweryOS hardware solutions for deployment in a new Bowery farm.
- Contribute to innovative R&D projects that advance our understanding of plant health and the state of Bowery’s modern farming technology platform and capabilities.
- Alongside the BoweryOS and other cross-functional partnerships, identify opportunities to optimize our process, our work, and propose solutions to unique challenges.
What You'll Have
- You have experience developing firmware for embedded processors as well as software for embedded Linux systems, e.g. embedded C, C++, Nerves, Python, etc.
- You have excellent knowledge integrating software and hardware using embedded data bus protocols UART, USART, I2C, SPI, and digital interfaces like USB.
- You are capable of defining, architecting, and developing a hardware abstraction layer (HAL).
- You are familiar with implementing control and feedback mechanisms, like derivative control (PID) or scheduling.
- You are comfortable reviewing schematics, PCB board designs, reading component datasheets, and debugging digital hardware using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, or similar tools.
- You are competent in collaborating with electrical engineers in developing factory acceptance testing to facilitate manufacturing of our unique hardware solutions.
- Bonus points if you have experience working with the Nerves IoT platform, the Elixir programming language, MQTT message bus, Altium Designer (EDA), schematic capture, and/or PCB design.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.