Senior Manager of Communications
New York, NY /
Marketing – Marketing /
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
As the Senior Manager of Communications, you will be part of a small team responsible for developing and launching consumer and corporate communications strategies that help Bowery maintain its position as the global leader in smart indoor farming.
You will work closely with the Head of Communications, and the broader Marketing team to raise awareness of Bowery’s exceptional produce, the company’s mission and values, executive leaders, and partners. This is a unique opportunity to build a category-defining brand and support rapid growth at a mission-driven company.
What You'll Do:
- Support the development and execution of a strategic comms plan to maintain Bowery’s leadership position with key stakeholders, including media and consumers
- Serve as a company media contact and spokesperson; build and foster relationships with key reporters across consumer, top-tier business, tech, local and trade outlets
- Identify fresh story angles and develop compelling pitches for media; secure a steady cadence of positive coverage on Bowery’s products, the company, and its leaders
- Identify, assess and support high profile speaking engagements for Bowery’s executive leadership team and employees
- Draft and edit content, including talking points, blogs, media + event briefing documents, social media posts, and longer form articles
- Partner with the broader Marketing team on social media engagement, influencer strategy and digital content development
- Develop integrated comms/marketing campaigns that help advance Bowery’s mission, values and business objectives; manage project execution and planning with the team and cross functionally
- Support Bowery’s community impact, stakeholder engagement and public affairs efforts
- Partner with the company’s PR firm to create a regular media coverage dashboard
- Monitor and share relevant media coverage, trends, and other industry developments
Who You Are:
- Experienced in PR and/or Corporate Communications, preferably in CPG, tech, food, or sustainability spaces
- A networker with media contacts covering food, consumer, and lifestyle, business, and tech
- An exceptional storyteller with a deep understanding of what makes something interesting for media
- An excellent writer/editor with experience drafting talking points, blogs, social media posts and longer form articles
- Strong ability to break-down complex, technological information in a way that is compelling to a range of external stakeholders
- Ability to balance strategic vision and tactical execution
- Entrepreneurial spirit that is proactive and scrappy; you are effective working both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Self-starter who can manage several projects involving multiple stakeholders at once
- Enthusiasm for Bowery’s mission and how technology can improve the plant and our food supply
- Ability to work in a flexible environment, in farms, HQ and remotely
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.