General Manager of Operations
Bethlehem, PA /
Operations – Farm Operations /
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out our podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke) - https://spoti.fi/3ToY3Mm
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is seeking a General Manager of Farm Operations who will oversee and be responsible for the complete operation of our newest and most modern high-tech indoor vertical farm. You’ll join Bowery Farming at a critical point in our growth trajectory. Reporting to the Regional VP of Farm Operations, you will be responsible for the end-to-end operation, including team development, health & safety, food safety & quality, cost, P&L, crop health, people development and service. You will build and develop the best and most complete operation possible. To achieve this, General Managers of Farm Operations are individuals who come with experience, analytical problem solvers who are able to set big bold goals, interpret data, and deliver business results. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer scientists, agricultural scientists, retail and other functions and your work will meaningfully impact the evolution of the indoor agriculture industry, making history. Come join us!
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for complete end to end operations of the facility to include team development, health & safety, food safety & quality, cost, P&L , crop health, people development and service
- Ensure all required KPI’s are met regarding facilities goals on safety, production, quality, and costs
- Collect & analyze data in order to proactively identify production issues or develop plans to resolve existing issues
- Responsible for creating and sustaining a world class culture around people and food safety, quality, customer experience and history making fun
- Oversee an Operations team to ensure that the farm stays on schedule, from seeding to harvest to packaging to cleaning & delivery
- Onboard, train and develop leaders and farmers creating an environment where leaders and farmers are developed
- Maintain overall responsibility for the farm, including safety, quality, cost, productivity, and delivery
- Implement all SOPs and drive compliance with crop plans in partnership with the Agricultural Operations Team
- Plan shift and work schedules for all production staff on shift to ensure high efficiency & quality
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with company quality, sanitation and food safety standards
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits
- Provide safe working environment by maintaining quality equipment and enforcing adherence to developed work practices
- Ensure employees have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
- Promote a culture of world class performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Provide coaching, teaching, and mentorship to a diverse and engaged team
- Influence and drive improvements to the Bowery Farming production software system
- Collaborate with leaders across Bowery to identify and understand operational opportunities for improvement
- Routinely build and lead relationships in the communities we serve while championing and supporting social capital projects.
Who You Are:
- Leader with excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Manufacturing leader with experience running food operations (preferably fresh produce) with demonstrated ability leading and running a complex 7 day a week operation
- Working experience with food regulators such as FDA and DOA
- Demonstrated experience implementing Lean & Six Sigma process improvement techniques (ideally a certified green or black LSS practitioner)
- Experience managing an OSHA compliance program
- Knowledge of warehouse management systems
- Skills driving continuous improvement initiatives & culture
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and superior management skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Detail & process orientation
- Experience with farming and growing operations, and food safety and production is a plus
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included, and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists, and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Bowery is an equal-opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.