HR Business Partner
Baltimore, MD /
People – HR /
At Bowery Farming, we dream of a world where agriculture gives back to the people and the planet more than it takes. But to achieve this, we need more than incremental change. We need to reimagine farming from the ground up. Every day, Bowery’s purpose-driven team works toward this mission. Right outside of cities, we build indoor farms that grow wildly flavorful produce that’s defiantly free from pollutants, all while using less finite resources like space and water. Our smart farms are powered by our proprietary farm operating system, BoweryOS, creating a simplified, agile food system that’s focused on flavor, freshness, and safety. At Bowery, we’re farming efficiently so we can feed effectively, democratizing access to fresh, local food in our communities.
About The Role:
Our People Operations team is growing and we’re adding an HR Business Partner to support our Farm Operations team. In this role, you will provide full-cycle HR support to our Farm that operates 365 days a year, 7 days a week. As an HR Business Partner, you will work across all aspects of HR including labor planning, employee on-boarding, employee relations and engagement, compensation, training, performance management, and farmer development.
We have big growth plans and you’ll be joining our team as we think about scaling our people practices. You’ll have the opportunity to provide a blueprint for how an HR Business Partner can be successful and support our farms as we scale.
What You'll Do:
- Establish and build relationships with Modern Farmers and Operations leaders, providing guidance and direction for all HR needs
- Support onboarding and continuous development opportunities for our Modern Farmers and Farm Leadership team members
- Partner with Finance and Operations leaders to maintain organizational structure and hourly staffing levels to accomplish company goals and objectives through the labor planning process
- Support and drive performance planning including employee check-ins, communications, coaching, career development and individual development plans
- Analyze and identify trends and find solutions that will lead to increased farmer engagement and tenure
- Maintain compliance and understanding with federal and state regulations concerning employment practices
- Conduct internal investigations in response to employee complaints and drive to resolution
- Support overall People and company Big Bold Goals
Who You Are:
- An HR professional with relevant years of experience as and HR Business Partner or Generalist
- A leader with a knack for improving scalable processes and procedures and helping us to develop a new way to deal with existing issues
- A poised multi-tasker comfortable in a fast-paced environment with overlapping deadlines
- A data-driven and analytical thinker who can leverage metrics, identify trends and action plan
- Someone who exudes warmth and passion, as well as natural ability to build and manage strong relationships quickly
- Experience supporting hourly employee client groups
- Strong understanding of employment laws and their impact
- Experience in call center, distribution center, or manufacturing environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience supporting 200+ associates
- SPHR or PHR certification
- Flexibility -- our Farms operate 365 days a year, 7 days a week
Bowery's headquarters is based in Manhattan. We have two farms in Kearny, New Jersey. One farm is focused on Research & Development, the other services retailers and community partners in the Tri-State area. Our third farm is located in Nottingham, Maryland, feeding the Mid-Atlantic region. Bowery Farming products are sold at hundreds of retailers, including Whole Foods Market, Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Walmart and specialty grocers, along with online partners like Amazon Fresh, Hungryroot, Peapod and restaurants, including Sweetgreen. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $172.5 million from leading investors, including Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and Henry Kravis, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including David Barber of Blue Hill, Tom Colicchio, and José Andres.