Analytics Operations Engineer
The Data Operations team is responsible for managing and operating Box data infrastructure at scale to serve both our external and internal customers. Team supports a complex environment with ranging from a mix of MySQL and Hbase based data infrastructure for our online use cases, to a broad range of big-data stack that includes Hadoop, Apache Kafka, Apache Storm, Spark, Elastic Search, OpenTSDB, and Redshift to support our analytics environment. Currently we are seeking a strong Analytics Operations Engineer to manage our data infrastructure in our analytics environment. You will be part of a tight knit team of experienced Analytics Operations Engineers that support analytics pipeline that supports both product and business use cases, and an infrastructure that is spread across on site and cloud. Deep involvement and experience with "big-data" systems is a must. The analytics data environment at Box is also a critical component of customer-facing production services and we are building a team able to rapidly scale services, explore and adopt new technologies, and ensure high availability and performance. This engineer will work closely with engineering teams and analytics users, and also be involved in architecture and data infrastructure discussions. We are in a high-growth phase with a variety of operational and architectural challenges which should appeal to candidates interested in making a big impact on the organization and services.
- Own and manage several Hadoop clusters and other services like Kafka, Spark, Storm, Hbase and ElasticSearch in development and production environments
- Work closely with engineering teams and participate in the infrastructure development and build / configure data infrastructure as needed
- Automate deployment and management of Hadoop services including implementing monitoring
- Investigate emerging technologies relevant to Box needs
- Contribute to the evolving architecture of Box services to meet changing requirements for scaling, reliability, performance, manageability, and price
- Document designs and procedures for building and managing Hadoop clusters.Train NOC staff to follow support and escalation procedures
- 4+ years experience operating Hadoop services, preferably in a large-scale production environment
- Familiarity with use of standard Hadoop ecosystem features and applications such as MapReduce, HBase, Hue, and Hive
- Experience monitoring, troubleshooting and tuning services and applications
- Strong Linux administration and troubleshooting skills
- Solid basis in systems management automation using popular open-source tools
- Experience running and troubleshooting Java applications. Java programming background would be useful
- Strong interest in engineering productivity and supporting software developers.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with ElasticSearch, Logstash and Kibana (ELK), OpenTSDB, Kafka, Storm, and Spark
- Experience with new services like Tez, Impala, PrestoExperience in managing AWS services
- Experience with scripting languages used at Box (Python, Bash, PowerShell, PHP)
- Experience with automated configuration management systems (eg, Puppet, Chef)
About Box: Box provides a secure way to share content and improve collaboration on any device. Desktop, tablet or mobile. From huge corporations to mom and pop stores, Box believes technology should never limit anything you do. Businesses of any size can be more productive, inventive and powerful on Box. The company is well funded by top VC firms like Andreessen Horowitz, Draper Fisher Jurvetson and U.S. Venture Partners. Box is proud to be on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Promising Companies, is used in 240,000 businesses - including 99% of the Fortune 500 – and is the go-to product of 27 million people.