Senior Project Engineer
Oakland, CA /
We’re a team of builders focused on enabling delivery warehouses to meet the demanding growth of e-commerce. Our goal is to empower our partners to scale up and transform their operations through robotic technology and next generation warehouse intelligence. Between Amazon’s dominance in the next day delivery space causing the “retail-apocalypse” and rising demand of eCommerce by COVID-19, it has never been more critical to improve delivery through automation for retailers and parcel companies alike. Come build the future of e-commerce delivery with us!
The senior project engineer position serves in multiple roles as a valuable member of the Systems team. This position will work in many functions of project delivery including detailed design engineering, concept engineering, and project management, on site integration support, customer support, and sales consulting.
The Project Engineer provides oversight and is responsible for all phases of various software development and automation projects, including coordinating team members, material, and equipment. The Project Engineer will work closely with the operations team to ensure that all specifications are being followed and that work is proceeding on schedule and within budget. By being the single point of contact to our customers a proactive, positive, problem solving approach is crucial.
- Rotate between roles depending on current project needs
- Lead AutoCAD drawings, quotes, alternate designs, quickly and efficiently pricing a system.
- Perform detailed design work laying out exact conveyor models, supporting structures, and all other items that need to be selected.
- As project manager you will follow project management principles to ensure the project is completed on time and on budget.
- As onsite integration assistant, you will help troubleshoot system ensuring smooth flow of product and increasing rate to peak performance.
- Timely resolution of issues and customer satisfaction with Support
- As site supervisor, assist with site installation to include material inventory, schedule tracking, and supervising subcontractors
- Develop in depth understanding of all facets of material handling to include equipment, suppliers, and applications
- Timely completion of all reports and logs to include time reports and travel expenses
- Provide customer support for ongoing and warranty projects
- Maintain consistent positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Pursue professional training and certifications (PMP, PE, etc)
- Ability to clearly communicate with project teams and customers verbally and in writing.
- Be an integral participant in the software installation, testing, debugging, and eventual turnover of the system to the customer.
- Work with Software Developers. The Project Engineer will regularly communicate with Software Developers to improve our product and solve issues. They must grasp major principles of BSS's development platform and architecture in order to effectively work with the Software Developers.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering (or related degree);
- MBA or Master Degree in Engineering a plus.
- 5+ years of similar experience within an Automated Material Handling environment.
- Strong computer skills with: Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Databases (SQL Server and Oracle).
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strategic selling ability and customer service skills.
- Excellent technical problem solving capability (hardware, controls)
- Strong scheduling and organizational skills.
- Strong understanding of financials, budgets, cash flow
- Enjoys the Supply Chain Automation, Logistics Software business environment.
- Willing to travel 20-40% (travel will vary depending on specific Projects, travel will be significantly less during engineering roles and higher during project management).
- Enjoy working in team environment
- Strong system engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with AutoCAD, HyCad and other material handling design packages
If you love working in small teams, are looking to make an impact as we bring our product to market, and you’re ready to transform the delivery capabilities for retailers and delivery companies worldwide, we want to hear from you!
Our engineering culture can best be summed up by the values of autonomy, mastery, purpose.
We are proud to be located in Jack London Square in Oakland, California.