Payroll Manager, HR Consulting
Advisory – HR Consulting & Recruiting /
You’re an expert when it comes to all things payroll. In fact, you really love payroll. You enjoy bouncing back and forth between processing ongoing payroll runs and diverse project work such as audits, reconciliations, testing and making process improvements. You possess excellent consulting skills while providing guidance to clients, their internal departments and/or stakeholders on payroll matters. You have worked in various systems including Paylocity, ADP, Rippling, UKG and Ceridian but the truth is you can navigate just about any system.
You also enjoy leading and supporting a team of talented people. You have proven experience as a Payroll Manager or in a similar role, demonstrating strong supervisory skills. You want to use your leadership and tactical experience to add value to a team of consultants while maintaining a work-life balance. (Really, we mean it!) You have worked long days, endured lengthy commutes and you are ready for your career to look and feel differently but aren’t sure if that opportunity really exists. (Hint: IT DOES!)
Your natural communication approach is one that effectively, respectfully, and inclusively builds a sense of belonging among employees who differ from one another. You are able to successfully translate your technical knowledge to any audience so that they understand what you are trying to convey. You are a strategic thinker and are proactive problem solver.
The following are the Payroll Consulting Manager responsibilities
- Manage and lead a team of payroll professionals, providing guidance, mentoring, and coaching.
- Oversee resource allocation for the payroll team and ensure the best fit for client and consultant.
- Conduct regular performance conversations in BPM Link, address performance concerns with team as needed.
- Oversee and execute your team and your own client’s end-to-end payroll processing, and advising on behalf of our clients. This may mean recommending new systems gracefully.
- Ensure accurate and timely calculation of wages, deductions, commissions, and bonuses, while maintaining confidentiality and data security.
- Collaborate with HR, Finance, and other relevant departments to ensure accurate capture and processing of employee data, salary changes, and related payroll information.
- Review and verify payroll reports, reconciliations, and journal entries, addressing any discrepancies or variances.
- Prepare and distribute payroll statements, earnings summaries, and tax forms as required.
- Monitor and maintain compliance with local, state, and federal payroll regulations, including tax obligations, record-keeping, and reporting requirements.
- Stay up-to-date on changes in payroll legislation and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Serve as a advisor to clients and your consultants in providing guidance and support on payroll policies, procedures, and relevant legal and regulatory changes.
- Respond to client’s employee inquiries when managing own clients, resolve payroll-related issues, and ensure excellent customer service and satisfaction.
This may include the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business, Finance or related field
- 15+ years of progressive payroll experience in diverse industries and company size, global payroll preferred
- Proven ability to lead teams
- Success in a consulting role, managing client relationships (Leadership over large payroll related projects in consulting capacity is preferred)
- In-depth knowledge of payroll principles (including taxation), functions, methods, and best practices
- Thorough understanding of state, local, and federal regulations
- Proficient with various payroll and HCM technologies
- CPP strongly preferred
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP certification is a bonus but not required
- Key Competencies:
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex information to diverse audiences, while helping our clients to move the needle.
- Proactive and adaptable mindset.
$50 - $65 an hour
This disclaimer must be in every posting: The salary range provided is intended for candidates in the San Francisco Bay Area who meet the minimum requirements of the position. Candidates who do not reside in the San Francisco Bay Area, do not meet the minimum requirements, or exceed the requirements are encouraged to apply and a recruiter will provide you with a range specific to your location and qualifications.
Wondering if you should apply?
At BPM we are people who value people. We are progressive and purposeful. We are a firm with flexibility. Our
shared entrepreneurial spirit drives us to see and do things differently. And our passion for people makes BPM a place where everyone feels welcome, valued, and part of something bigger.
BPM provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
For positions based in San Francisco, consideration of qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records will be in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please note - this posting is for prospective candidates only. Unsolicited third-party resume submissions will be considered property of BPM and will not be acknowledged or returned.