BPM LLP recruiting on behalf of OpenLight for a Photonic Hardware Application Staff Engineer
San Francisco Bay Area
Advisory – HR Consulting & Recruiting /
OpenLight is a photonics design company that offers the world’s first open silicon photonics platform with integrated lasers. Our technology is used in Datacom, telecom, LiDAR, healthcare, HPC, AI, and optical computing applications. Our goal is to improve the performance, power efficiency, and reliability of your design using our open and flexible platform. We have over 300 patents and our technology has been adopted by companies across multiple industries enabling new possibilities for photonics engineering.
We are seeking a Photonic Hardware Application Staff Engineer to join our team. In this full-time hybrid role, located in Santa Clara, CA, you will be working with a team of engineers in a fast-paced and constantly evolving research and development environment. You will be expected to support and lead photonic hardware application development, create and review specifications, test and evaluate designs, and engage in feasibility studies. You will also be responsible for working closely with cross-functional teams and driving design solutions that balance technical functionality, manufacturability, and cost efficiency to ensure successful product launch.
You will play a pivotal role in enabling our customers by providing exceptional expertise in control systems and power architectures for photonic integrated circuits (PIC) with integrated lasers, modulators, monitor photodiodes, heaters, multiplexes, switches, and optical amplifiers. You will own control and power supply architecture, application
documentation and schematics, collaborating closely with our product, PIC, systems, test, and firmware team to define control requirements and translate them into detailed specifications for firmware development.
- Work closely with our commercial team to assist in developing a roadmap of evaluation boards that demonstrate the performance of our PIC technology.
- Generate architecture and schematics including the design of power supplies and controls for the optical devices. Perform system level testing and troubleshooting to ensure optimal performance and reliability. Work with our partners to specify and test optoelectronic packages for fiber attachment, and flip-chip or wire bonding
- Work with a mechanical engineer on a thermal and packaging solution for the evaluation boards
- Collaborate with the firmware team to specify and test the firmware and user interface software for the evaluation boards
- Perform system-level testing and troubleshooting to ensure optimal performance and reliability.
- Create documentation and application guidelines, and provide technical support to our customers on all aspects of designing, packaging, and testing their modules based on our PIC technology.
- Contribute to the development of innovative solutions and advancements in our product offerings.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, Optics, Photonics, or a related field.
- At least 10 years of experience in designing photonic integrated circuits and their applications.
- Experience in design and test of photonic modules such as transceivers or Lidar modules.
- Experience with optoelectronic packaging.
- Proven experience in designing control systems and power architectures
- Proficiency in schematic design tools, ability to read layout and mechanical design files
- Experience in collaborating with cross-functional teams and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Ethernet and datacenter/HPC applications.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment and adapt to evolving priorities.
- Self-starter and independent professional but able to collaborate with teams inside and outside the company.
$164,000 - $193,000 a year
Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Why Join Us:
Be part of a cutting-edge startup with a strong history of technology innovation.
Work alongside a team of talented professionals in the field of silicon photonics – both new and industry veterans.
Competitive salary and benefits package and opportunity for career growth and professional development.
If you are highly motivated and technically proficient apply today to help shape the future of optical applications. To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience.
Wondering if you should apply?
At BPM we are people who value people. We are progressive and purposeful. We are a firm with flexibility. Our
shared entrepreneurial spirit drives us to see and do things differently. And our passion for people makes BPM a place where everyone feels welcome, valued, and part of something bigger.
BPM provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
For positions based in San Francisco, consideration of qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records will be in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please note - this posting is for prospective candidates only. Unsolicited third-party resume submissions will be considered property of BPM and will not be acknowledged or returned.