Director of Product, East Africa
Product – Manager /
Brave finds rising star talent for high growth companies. That means we’re always on the lookout for brilliant folks like you. We work to understand your work interests, career goals, and talents. And then put you in touch with our clients who might want to interview you. Feel free to share our details with a friend or peer. We’d be happy to link them with jobs too.
About the company...
We are a global development organization that leverages technology and data to empower farmers and build prosperous rural communities. We collaborate with governments, private agencies, CSOs, and rural communities to co-create digital solutions that enhance farmers' productivity and income. For ten years, our core product has been video based agricultural extension, putting the power of local knowledge in the hands of local farmers.
In recent months we have begun to invest in building the public infrastructure to support smallholder farmers globally. Today, our product work is focused on hyper local content delivery and market connections, powered by a modular, customizable digital platform, and empowering an ecosystem of frontline workers, cooperatives, and agricultural service providers. As we reflect on a decade of impact across India, Ethiopia, and Kenya, and millions of lives impacted, we are ready to build a world class product organization. We’d love for you to join!
About the role...
As the Director of Product Management, you will drive the development of customer obsessed products, delivering value to farmers and evolving company strategy as you do so.
You will oversee product design, product management, and long-term product strategy development, mentoring a team of product managers across the region and acting as a key liaison between different stakeholders, both internal and external. This is a high-impact role in which you will have a profound influence on the product and on the overall success of the company.
Before reading about the kind of person we are looking for, we want to remind you that very few people will have ALL of the skills and experiences listed here. If you think you can build and ship great, customer-focused agri tech products, regardless of your background, we encourage you to apply!
The Kind of Person We’re Looking For:
You are deeply focused on the customer: Over your career, you have led numerous teams through early-stage product design research. You prioritize taking a human centered and inclusive approach to insight gathering, opportunity identification, and early concept testing.
You have a bias for action: Talking about what could be possible is easy. Showing what is, informed by user insight and early interaction data is not. You are quick to develop lo-fi prototypes, test demand for a product, and understand the need to ground product conversions in real user data.
You are fluent in the product development process: You understand that shipping a great product requires rigorous testing, excellent communication, and a simple to follow process. You have mastered the process, knowing when to speed up and skip a step, when to slow down, rethink, and retest, how to track concept progress from ideation to scale, and how to share your plans, progress, and pivots with all relevant stakeholders.
You have learned to trust your gut: While being process driven and grounded in real customer insight but based on your experience of leading product development processes, you know when to take a leap, try a new direction, and create a net new experience for the people we serve.
You love to build and ship: You know that setting a rhythm of releases is critical and you are comfortable PM’ing, demonstrating what excellence is, and leading your teams through and end to end release.
You build great teams: You recognize that excellence depends upon the psychological safety that we produce and protect within our teams. You focus on mentoring through opportunities, creating clear performance plans, delegating responsibilities, and setting ambitious growth targets for the people you manage.
You are kind: You know that kindness is a superpower and you have learned to harness it authentically.
- You lead product teams to research, test, build, and ship customer focused products.
- You own the process, end to end. You work closely with our product and development teams to ensure roadmaps are clear, milestones are reasonable, sprints are planned, and release deadlines are met.
- You create a team environment that supports excellence and sets a high bar with regard to interpersonal interactions and our approach to product development.
- You identify new opportunities for product and organizational growth, leveraging your networks and building upon the networks that Digital Green already has.
- You partner with internal teams to evolve organizational strategy based upon product vision, growth and impact targets.
What you bring:
- Proven product development experience, having managed teams that have taken 3+ products from idea to scale of over 250,000 users in East Africa or India.
- Whether it is Figma or Miro or Jira or Asana or the GSuite - you recognize the power of a well organized comms system and are fluent in at least one, preferably more.
- Exceptional ability to translate user needs into digital product concepts and to bridge the gap between customers and the engineering/software development team.
- Fluency in English and business-level proficiency in an regional language.
- Curiosity and affinity for learning and growth.(Preferred qualification)
- Experience working with farmers and farmer organizations or similar rural customers from sectors like health, education, or financing.
What we bring:
- Competitive compensation packages based on experience and location
- Flexibility to work from home
- PTO (that roll over) + company holidays
- Quality health, vision, and dental insurance for you and your family
- 401K plan
- Parental leave for all kinds of parents
- A global team of welcoming colleagues with whom to build life-long relationships.
This company is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability or any other status protected under applicable local laws.