Special Education Teacher
BRICK Academy is a school management organization founded and led by six visionary teachers that were compelled by the stark reality facing many of their students. They created a school model which intentionally targets the lowest performing, highest need urban schools and addresses the needs of students academically, socially and emotionally while developing creative solutions to stabilize their families.
Our MISSION is to put all children on a positive life trajectory and consequently ending generational poverty by providing children with a quality education and addressing the external factors that impede their academic success.
To learn more about BRICK, please visit http://www.bricknewark.org
Here is a great opportunity to be part of an exciting entrepreneurial organization that focuses on turning around chronically failing schools. We are looking for an individual who will help build an organization from the ground up. If you are interested in being part of success at a greater scale and looking to invest in a theory of change that actually works – then this is your organization.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
- A passionate belief in BRICK Academy’s mission, values, and educational model;
- A deep desire to work with educationally underserved student populations and their families;
- An unwavering commitment to the academic success and personal development of our students;
- An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them;
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
- A sense of humility.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Special Education Teacher
- establishes instructional/learning environment for students to reinforce appropriate pupil behavior;
- develops, adapts/modifies and sequences a variety of instructional activities to meet the students’ individual goals/objectives which are based on the student’s IEP;
- provides academic instruction to students based on school’s adopted K-8 curriculum;
- monitors/charts behavioral and instructional progress for the students;
- establishes/maintains behavioral management system for students;
- establishes a varied environment which accommodates the differing ways that children learn;
- maintains records and reports regarding pupil progress in a timely manner.
- may provide direct instruction to students in the areas of vocation and career development; communication skills; social and recreation/leisure skills; and transition to adult living.
- case manages student if transitioned into inclusion setting for all or part of the day
- Interpersonal Relations/Communications:
- maintains cooperative working relationships with parents, staff, other school district personnel and other community service agencies;
- maintains effective and timely written and oral communication with parents, staff, other school personnel, and community agencies;
- conducts yearly interviews with parents/care providers to obtain pertinent information in relation to student program planning;
- attends various school related meetings.
- provides parent education related to students’ needs;
- trains paraprofessionals assigned to class, provides inservice training/consultation to staff, school district personnel, volunteers, and agency personnel;
- works with regular education staff to foster integration of special education students;
- participates in professional development activities.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree is preferred;
- A valid Teaching License in Special Education Teacher;
- An ability to meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and “Highly Qualified” according to ESSA; and
- Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment.
- Candidates must be able to start August 13, 2018
Salary and Goals
- Salary Range: Competitive compensation package
- Full time
- Employment Period: 10 Months
- Fringe Benefits: Pension, Health, Dental