Kivu Choice /
About Kivu Choice:
Kivu Choice is the sister company to Victory Farms, the largest aquaculture platform in East Africa, based in Kenya. We launched our Rwandan business in Q4 of 2021 and have since built a vertically integrated aquaculture company with associated hatchery, cage production, distribution, and sales operations. Over the next 5 years our plan is to scale to become one of the largest and most sustainable protein producer in Africa, producing and distributing over 50 million fish meals per year across Rwanda, DRC, and Burundi.
About the Role:
Director of Operations at Kivu Choice is responsible for overseeing our Farm operations, Lake operations, Security department and Maintenance department. As a member of our leadership team on the farm, the Director of Operations ensures that we are compliant with regulations and that best practices are being followed in all areas. This role requires strong leadership, know-how in farm management, and passion for building systems and dynamic teams.
- Strategic Planning: Develop and execute a strategic plan for the operations department that aligns with the organization's goals and objectives. Identify opportunities for growth and efficiency.
- Operational Oversight: Provide leadership and direction to the farm operations team, Lake operations, security and Maintenance teams, varying from managers, technicians, and support staff. Ensure proper staffing, training, and development of personnel.
- Production Management: Monitor and optimize our operations policies and processes, including harvest, feed warehousing and management, health and safety procedures, and fleet management. Implement best practices to maximize cost control and high production.
- Facility Management: Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of farm infrastructure and ensure facilities are in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Budget and Financial Management: Develop and manage the annual budget for the operations department. Monitor expenses and make strategic adjustments as necessary to meet financial targets.
- Environmental Compliance: Ensure compliance with environmental regulations and sustainability standards. Implement responsible aquaculture practices to minimize the farm's environmental impact.
- Maintenance Planning: Develop and implement a proactive maintenance plan to prevent equipment breakdowns and minimize downtime to ensure that all systems are in good working order to support the farm's daily operations.
- Security Planning: Develop and implement security policies, procedures, and protocols for all of our sites.
- Health and Safety: Promote a culture of safety on the farm. Develop and enforce safety protocols and procedures to protect employees and farm assets.
- Community and Stakeholder Engagement: Build and maintain positive relationships with local communities, regulatory agencies, and other stakeholders. Address concerns and promote the farm's positive contributions to the region.
- Master’s degree in management, Aquaculture management, Animal Production, or a related field.
- Several years of relevant experience in Farm Management, with a proven track record of success in a leadership role.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills.
- Financial acumen and budget management experience.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with industry-specific software and technology.
- Willingness to work in varying environmental conditions and occasional irregular hours.