Technical Lead, Backend Engineering, Data Team
Government has become one of the final frontiers for technological disruption. The more people use technology as consumers, the more they expect technology to shape their experience as citizens. Brigade believes building a political network that connects voters for collective action will force the political process to be more accessible, transparent and accountable. Our mission is to empower citizens to declare their beliefs, organize with like-minded people, and take action to shape the policies and elections that affect their lives.
Sean Parker, Marc Benioff and Ron Conway have participated in our Series A investment and our offices are in SOMA, San Francisco.
- Technical lead for a small team of dedicated engineers; cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders, across our product, operations, politics and engineering teams.
- Own success of your team's projects and deliver quantifiable results in a timely manner, delivering solutions facing the political ecosystem today. Be the point person at the company who understands how to establish political identity.
- Be hands-on and code alongside your engineering team, particularly focusing on backend engineering for data systems that drive user-facing features.
- Be a team player. Openly communicate ideas and be willing to listen to peers. Give and receive continuous feedback.
- Contribute to a variety of projects that range from designing robust and fully automated ETL processes to building tools for improving company-wide productivity with data.
- Help Brigade understand what political issues our users care about, what they can do about them, and how they can work together with other like-minded people.
- Develop and deploy code and infrastructure that collects, stores, and processes data from our production systems, extensive third-party political datasets and analytics events from our users.
- Work in our Ruby-based microservice architecture to solve unique problems in our space.
- Write unit tests, participating in code review processes, and ensuring overall quality of shipped code.
- 5+ years of experience building data intensive production applications.
- A high degree of personal drive and work well within an agile development team.
- A passion for collaborating on building great products with PMs and designers.
- Great team and interpersonal skills.
- Effective time management to move quickly and release small batches frequently.
- A love of learning new things and the ability to share them.
- An ability to think strategically while still enjoying the dive into the details.
- Experience and knowledge of Cassandra, Elasticsearch, or other large scale NoSQL technologies.
- Solid architectural and data modeling skills.
Nice to Haves:
- Demonstrable excitement for bringing about social change.
- Experience building large scale data processing applications.
- Experience and knowledge of data processing tools like Kafka, Hadoop, and Spark.
- Experience with Python and/or Scala, especially data processing tools such as scalding, SciPy, and pySpark.
- Experience building and integrating user cohorting, experiments, and A/B testing applications.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and MySQL.
- Open Source software contributions.