Site Reliability Engineer
Government has become one of the final frontiers for technological disruption. The more people use technology as consumers, the more they expect technology to shape their experience as citizens. Brigade (https://brigade.com) believes building a political network that connects voters for collective action will force the political process to be more accessible, transparent and accountable. Our mission is to empower citizens to declare their beliefs, organize with like-minded people, and take action to shape the policies and elections that affect their lives.
You will work with a dedicated team of engineers in a fast-paced, scrappy culture with a team that wants to empower citizens to realize how much their vote matters. We're looking for engineers who are passionate about building infrastructure, planning projects and love diving head first into challenging problems.
Sean Parker, Marc Benioff and Ron Conway have participated in our Series A investment and our offices are in SOMA, San Francisco.
Responsibilities will incude:
- Managing all aspects of the infrastructure as a key hands-on role within the Operations Team
- Collaborating with software engineers to design a robust and performant infrastructure
- Working with external vendors to plan for and integrate new technologies; seamlessly
- Implementing new deployment processes and automation to scale the infrastructure
- Designing and documenting procedures to be used as standard operating guidelines
- Integrating tools to monitor multiple environments: development, staging, and production
- Participating in on-call PagerDuty rotation within the Engineering Team
- Reporting to the Director of Engineering (Infrastructure/Operations)
Ideal candidates will have:
- 2-4+ years of operations experience in a high-availability Linux environment (CentOS/RHEL)
- Expertise with one or more of the following scripting languages: Ruby, Bash, or Python
- A passion for automated, scalable, and repeatable infrastructures. We currently use Docker and Chef!
- Working knowledge of standard web services such as Nginx, Redis, Mysql, etc
- Deep knowledge of Linux system internals and the command line. We live there!
- Experience with Docker in a development or production environment
- Hands on experience with monitoring and logging tools such as Datadog, Logstash, etc
- The ability to prioritize tasks, work independently, and respond to emergent issues accordingly
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and work well within a team
- A strong sense of ownership over system uptime and performance
Bonus points for:
- A history working with politically minded or civics-based entities
- Big Data or NoSQL experience with Kafka, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Spark, Hadoop or similar
- A history of capacity planning and establishing technical roadmaps for future scaling
- Experience in managing automated build, test, and deployment infrastructures (Jenkins, Capistrano, etc)
- Networking proficiency with switches, routers, firewalls and load-balancers
- Any open-source side projects that display your passion and prowess
- Knowledge of Agile development practices