Director of Engineering
Technology – Engineering
At Bright Health, we brought together the brightest minds from the health care industry and consumer technology and together we created Bright Health: a new, brighter approach to healthcare, built for individuals. Our plans are easy to manage, personalized and more affordable, giving people the quality care they deserve. Through our exclusive care partnerships with leading health systems in local communities we are reshaping how people and physicians achieve better health together.
Bright Health is tripling its footprint in 2019 to offer a variety of health insurance plans to more individuals. Bright Health operates health insurance offerings across Individual and Family Plan segments and the Medicare Advantage space in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, New York and Tennessee.
We’re Making Healthcare Right. Together.
The Director, Software Engineering is responsible for directly managing a team of software engineers and their day to day work. The role will take the lead in establishing and perpetuating good software engineering processes and practices within the team, and in helping to establish how agile is practiced at Bright. The team’s primary focus is on delivering the experiences that create and maintain the relationship of our members and other stakeholders to Bright. That includes web and mobile applications that help members sign up, maintain their health, find the right doctor and other information, and manage their benefits. Because we work in partnership with Health Systems to deliver a high quality of care to our members, this role will play an important part in the innovative experiences and applications we are building to help deliver on the promise of that unique partnership.
- Develop a team of highly-skilled engineers, including hiring, retaining, developing, managing and coaching/mentoring team members
- Ship high quality software that drives the Bright Health business forward
- Establish, teach and operate great software engineering practices
- Operate a high quality, cloud-based service insuring uptime and performance within SLOs
- Work closely with marketing, design, product management and other constituencies to develop and execute a product roadmap
- Collaborate with the CTO on the overall technology and organization strategy and plan
- Insure that appropriate tools, techniques and processes are used for both front end and back end development.
- Conduct code reviews, participate in design and architecture discussions and be responsible for a culture of engineering excellence within your team
- Tune, enhance, and execute our agile development process
- Be accountable for execution of quality assurance plan within your engineering team
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field is required; comparable work experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Five (5) or more years of management experience (responsibility for onboarding/offboarding, performance management, and other people management functions) is required; indirect management experience (management of managers) is strongly preferred
- Ten (10) or more years of overall software development industry experience
- Proficiency with application development against database systems – including at a minimum RDMBS (SQL Server/Postgres/Oracle) and ideally familiarity with NoSQL systems as well (MongoDB, Cassandra, CosmosDB, Elasticsearch etc.)
- Track record of shipping great software experience and services as a manager and as a software developer
- Understanding of DevOps culture and process
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible, team player who emphasizes delivery
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Is able to successfully influence direct and indirect teams to achieve goals
- Organizes people and resources toward the effective and pursuit of objectives
- Hold self and team accountable for effective planning and execution
We've won some fun awards like: Great Places to Work, Modern Healthcare, Forbes, etc. But more than anything, we're a group of people who are really dedicated to our mission in healthcare. Come join our growing team!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of Bright Health, our consumers, and the communities we serve. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.